Xbox night (5/4)

Discussions of games for Xbox 360, Nintendo DS, PC, Mac and other platforms.
Hardcorhobbs

Xbox night (5/4)

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

FYI my buddy Mike (VedroMike) just picked up ODST. So we have another for firefight, the new Halo 3 multiplayer maps, and the Halo: Reach beta.

Not that we have to play that this week. Just wanted to throw that out there. (Though with the Reach beta going live today I would say that's probably going to be the game tomorrow?)
EvilGenius

Re: Xbox night (5/4)

Post by EvilGenius »

I'll be available but probably only for a few games. Lots of studying to do. :)
Another daring escape for the intrepid Spaceman Spiff!
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

I don't have ODST, so I wouldn't be able to do any Reach action. By all means, however, don't let that stop you if you guys want to jump into the beta.

On a related note, I am excited for Reach, but I really want nothing to do with the beta, so I'll certainly be waiting on that one.

I should be around on Tuesday, however, if folks want to do some other xbla gaming.
"Here are your waters and your watering place.
Drink and be whole again beyond confusion."
-- "Directive" by Robert Frost
erilar

Post by erilar »

I was just logging on to post the question about trying the Halo: Reach beta tomorrow. :)

Yeah, I'm all for it. I don't think Jon has the game yet though, and he's finally on daylight.
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

erilar wrote: Yeah, I'm all for it. I don't think Jon has the game yet though, and he's finally on daylight.
See above. ;)
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

And, really, I mean it when I say I wont be bothered if you guys want to do the Reach beta tomorrow - i understand it's the cool new thing. I've just been a bit down on Halo recently, so I'm not all that jazzed for it right now. Don't let that hold you back, however. There will be plenty of other times we can game together.
erilar

Post by erilar »

I'd be very fine with Magic or board games or whatever.

The downside for the Reach beta (for me) is that it's public Matchmaking multiplayer only, so that's not my bag per se. If I want to play a game with random internet strangers, I'm going to play Bad Company 2. It is sooo explodeytastic. :twisted:
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

erilar wrote:The downside for the Reach beta (for me) is that it's public Matchmaking multiplayer only, so that's not my bag per se. If I want to play a game with random internet strangers, I'm going to play Bad Company 2. It is sooo explodeytastic. :twisted:
The 1up guys were talking about playing in the beta and they were looking forward to more people on their playlist playing... So maybe we can still play on the same map even if it's filled out with randoms?
erilar

Post by erilar »

Hardcorhobbs wrote: The 1up guys were talking about playing in the beta and they were looking forward to more people on their playlist playing... So maybe we can still play on the same map even if it's filled out with randoms?
I think the game will try to keep a party together. Even though I'm not crazy about playing with strangers, I'd still like to try it out (I downloaded it last night - it's not a very big file). We can jump in for a few games tonight. I just want to play stuff with Jon too.
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

erilar wrote:
Hardcorhobbs wrote: The 1up guys were talking about playing in the beta and they were looking forward to more people on their playlist playing... So maybe we can still play on the same map even if it's filled out with randoms?
I think the game will try to keep a party together. Even though I'm not crazy about playing with strangers, I'd still like to try it out (I downloaded it last night - it's not a very big file). We can jump in for a few games tonight. I just want to play stuff with Jon too.
Thanks for that, man. :)

However, I don't think I can make it on tonight, at least not reliably. Some stuff has come up that I need to take care of, so I'll be running around after work today, and probably won't have a great deal of time to log on tonight.

So, enjoy the beta tonight if you guys want. I'll see you all definitely on Friday, and perhaps on xbox wed or thurs night this week instead.
erilar

Post by erilar »

Jonkga wrote: I'll see you all definitely on Friday, and perhaps on xbox wed or thurs night this week instead.
Well, my new paintball gun is supposed to arrive tomorrow, so probably only after it's too dark to shoot on Wed. :lol:
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Not sure if I'll be on tonight or not. I'm fighting off a cold, so I may try to hit the sack early. We'll see how it goes.

Re: the Reach beta -- I haven't downloaded it yet, and I'm guessing the servers will be slammed when we log-on tonight, so I'd rather play something else.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

erilar wrote:
Jonkga wrote: I'll see you all definitely on Friday, and perhaps on xbox wed or thurs night this week instead.
Well, my new paintball gun is supposed to arrive tomorrow, so probably only after it's too dark to shoot on Wed. :lol:
New gun?!? What did you get?
erilar

Post by erilar »

NukeHavoc wrote: Re: the Reach beta -- I haven't downloaded it yet, and I'm guessing the servers will be slammed when we log-on tonight, so I'd rather play something else.
Perhaps not. Major Nelson's podcast featured a Reach Beta interview this week. One of the Bungie engineers mentioned that their efficiency improvements include a 40% reduction in bandwidth requirements - pretty impressive.

Not sure what the others' experience with the Beta download were. Mine downloaded while I was watching UFC fights last night, so not sure how long it took.
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

erilar wrote:Perhaps not. Major Nelson's podcast featured a Reach Beta interview this week. One of the Bungie engineers mentioned that their efficiency improvements include a 40% reduction in bandwidth requirements - pretty impressive.
There was some talk on the news sites that there were some match making and server issues, but they didn't seem wide-spread. Bungie was working on it last night so it should be better today.

FYI I also read that the beta is only open until May 19th.