Lance is a guinea pig

A place for members of the public to meet, talk and pass out.
NukeHavoc

Lance is a guinea pig

Post by NukeHavoc »

Sony Claims PSPgo Was Merely a 'Test'
http://www.industrygamers.com/news/sony ... ly-a-test/

:)
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
Hardcorhobbs

Re: Lance is a guinea pig

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

See! Nintendo will always reign as KING for handhelds :wink:

Also 3DS is going to ROCK! :D
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

We kid because we love Lance. :)

Honestly though, as long as you're enjoying it, I don't think it matters how well it sold (and I know the DS wasn't your cup of tea). Just interesting to hear Sony's spin on this. I wonder how it will inform their next handheld?
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

Oh I absolutely kid because because I love. I've totally be tempted by the PSP for many games. There have to be over a dozen exclusives or remakes I'd love to play on the PSP. But I have enough with the DS, 360 and wii, so I just don't need another system. (and there's no way I'm giving up my ds because it's my favorite system!)
erilar

Post by erilar »

Yeah, not real surprised. I can't read the article yet (blocked at work by the Mind Police due to "game" metatag).

Two things going on here for sure:

1) The world, unfortunately, isn't ready for a gaming device with no physical media.

Personally, I think it's brilliant to not have to carry teeny little game cards around, but Sony declined to learn from Apple's success. They foolishly eschewed the library of pre-existing physical media. Would the iPod have been a success if Apple didn't give us the option to rip our CDs? Hells, no. And obviously, Go users can't tap the used market.

If this had been the PSP2, and there was no planned back-compat, there probably wouldn't have been an issue. Unfortunately, existing PSP owners wanting to upgrade or replace their existing model couldn't bring their software with them. Dumb.

Sony has also done a very poor job of selling download-code cards, so retailers have not gotten on board. There are only about 5 games that even have associated code cards. You can buy Sony Network points cards or whatever, but not really the same, and grandma has a hard time grokking how to buy games for little Timmy.

Yes, digital-only will eventually happen, but the world isn't ready yet. Ubiquitous, fast broadband isn't here yet. iTunes, Netflix, the Zune Marketplace, etc. are paving the way, but people are strangely attracted to their physical media.

2) The battery life sucks dismally.

In an age of handhelds with phenomenal battery tech (both the batteries themselves, and device engineering for energy efficiency), the Go allows you to game for all of about 3 hours before dying. Unacceptable.

But, the games are really fun, the form factor is great, the screen is beautiful, and I just don't like 99% of DS games. So for now it works for me. Hoping the PSP2 will be much better designed though. (And sorry Steve Jobs, a real handheld gaming device needs buttons and a thumbstick. I'm sure the iPhone/pad/touch has a lot of fun games, but there are certain games that just don't translate.)
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
moths

Post by moths »

When I went to see Sonic Youth, they only played stuff off A Thousand Leaves. Afterward, they told a local paper that they hadn't gotten to play it live, and wanted to see how it sounded and to familiarize themselves with their new (shitty) album in front of a crowd.

I know exactly how you feel, Lance.
erilar wrote:1) The world, unfortunately, isn't ready for a gaming device with no physical media.
This highlights something that's hurting DS more than people realize - piracy. There are a lot of gray-market 'backup' carts which are available to run homebrew, play and store music, or use your DS as an eBook. But they're slaughtering the smaller niche games at the manufacturing point. Essentially, a developer won't bother with something if it's going to be a hit with the hacker crowd but not a mainstream audience. It seems to be a bigger problem in Europe.

But the reason this is relevant is that you can store a library of games in a single cart, which is (I think) how they got so damn popular. People don't want to carry a hundred games around - they want to carry a device.

But they need to find a better way to implement this than the Go did, or people will do it themselves with R4 cards.