Play Lists

Discussions of games for Xbox 360, Nintendo DS, PC, Mac and other platforms.
Hardcorhobbs

Re: Play Lists

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

A little more on Enslaved: Odyssey to the West (because it's an awesome game and it deserves more support).

At times it reminds me a lot of the Lego games, but aimed for a older audience. You control they muscle, Monkey, at all times. However you have to use the abilities of Trip, your partner, to pass through some of the areas. For instance Trip can activate a hologram that will distract enemies so you can pass through an area without being attacked. Alternatively, you may have to help trip get through an area. A great example of this you come to early is a drawbridge. The controls are on the other side, so Monkey has to use his jumping capabilities to leap to the other side. You then activate the drawbridge so Trip can cross.

It's a lot of fun, and it's cool seeing the puzzles they come up with. Sometimes I wish the game was just the puzzles, without the hassle of the robots showing up for me to fight. :)
erilar

Post by erilar »

Finished Alan Wake last night. Super fun, and great ending. Well, the ending is a little ambiguous, but that's so they could dovetail into the DLC chapters. Jon, if you're interested in playing it, give me a call and drop by to pick it up any time. I'll be away for the weekend, but I'm sure Heather wouldn't mind you dropping by.

I also started Red Dead Redemption last night - just the setup and tutorial bits. Man, this is an ambitious game, and the expansive outdoor vistas are gorgeous. Facial animation and textures are also quite good, which is very welcome after the last few games I've played. Creepy doll characters from the Uncanny Valley FTL.
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

Made it to the final boss for Stage 3 in Vanquish. Need to rethink the tactics on this one. He's tough. Interesting though! Didn't have enough time to get back to it last night though... prepping for Mepacon!!!
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

Played a bunch of Dragon Quest IX over the weekend, Ken and I even got to adventure together! I really need to gain a few more levels before we do so again... Otherwise I haven't played much.

I've read a few reviews of Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood. I've always been interested in trying it out... just haven't gotten around to it. The reviews are pushing me towards it though... I think after Vanquish and Enslaved I might give the first one a go.

I've decided to embrace my new found love of Action games. I still love RPGs... but I can play through an action game and move onto another one... generally before I get bored. I like this! Sorry RPG's.
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

I briefly got mad at Vanquish last playing it after work. Even though I got to a checkpoint after a boss fight before quitting out to play Halo with Ken, it loaded me before the boss fight. I fought and beat the boss... but in it's last dying act it lashed out and killed me. WTF!?! So I played a little Wolverine. It's a very fun button masher kind of game. You don't really have to think about it, just attack until everything is dead. Very fitting for wolverine.

After dinner I jumped back into Vanquish. This time I knew what the boss would do after I beat him, so I took precautions. Then I pushed through and beat the game. A ton of fun, great gameplay, great story, great characters. I really hope they do a sequel to this game. To help promote the game I'm going to submit a review to Nuketown. Pending Ken's approval you guys can check out my full thoughts there. After I'm done you guys are welcome to check it out but I want to hang on to it until then. Of course I have to recommend you don't wait for mine and just pick up your own copy ;)
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

I tried to finish Fallout 3 last night, but unfortunately it has a fatal glitch as part of the "Waters of Life" mission that causes the game to freeze during the load whenever I have to emerge from the Jefferson Memorial's basement to fight the Enclave troops in the water refinery.

I tried going back to an earlier save and adventuring for a while, but when I returned and did "Waters of Life" again, the game did another fatal-crash-on-load (meaning the entire Xbox stops responding).

It could be the disc, so I'd appreciate it if I could borrow someone else's copy of Fallout 3. The other potential problem is that the Jefferson Memorial is an inherently glitchy place. Reading on line, it seems that there are logic problems that could cause the game to freeze if certain characters aren't in the right place (why aren't they in the right place? who knows?)

I like Fallout 3 because the world feels so alive and dynamic ... but that's come at the cost of being stupidly buggy even years after it was released. I'm going to give up now and go back to Dragon Age.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

nukehavoc wrote:I like Fallout 3 because the world feels so alive and dynamic ... but that's come at the cost of being stupidly buggy even years after it was released. I'm going to give up now and go back to Dragon Age.
Yeah, Fallout was fun for a while but it's no Dragon Age. :)
Another daring escape for the intrepid Spaceman Spiff!
erilar

Post by erilar »

Sorry, I no longer have a Fallout 3 disc, Ken.

FWIW though, I actually enjoyed Fallout 3 more than Dragon Age. Enough to get New Vegas, in fact (although I'm currently waiting for the next patch until playing it). Still, can't argue that the most dangerous Fallout enemies are the bugs you can't shoot with VATS. :lol:

In Rock Band news, I recently ordered the plastic Mad Catz pro guitar. It has 102 buttons on the neck (6 strings times 17 frets, and then 6 strings down at the strumming end. The feel of this buttony guitar will probably be a bit janky compared to a real guitar, but I'm too impatient to try my hand (pun intended) at this Pro Guitar mode! After being away from playing guitar for 15 years, this seems like a really intriguing way to get back into it and learn some songs. (I plan to Craigslist this one and get the real Rock Band Fender Strat when that one comes out in March.)

It should ship next week - the supply is pretty low. Each GameStop got one (and they were all reserved via preorder), and Best Buy never even got any in their stores. Amazon sold out on the first day, etc.

Last edited by erilar on Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

You can try my Fallout 3 disc if you want. I beat the game.
Lars Porsenna

Post by Lars Porsenna »

I have it too, and I really can't get into it. In fact, I can't really get into any RPGs on the xbox at all. They all seem to be...lacking something. I think I'll just stick with FPS, my first love in electronic gaming...

Damon.
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"
Modeling the Ecuadorian Military: https://ecuadorianmilitary.blogspot.com/
My Book Blog: http://bookslikedust.blogspot.com/
My Minis Blog: http://minislikedust.blogspot.com/
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Hardcorhobbs wrote:You can try my Fallout 3 disc if you want. I beat the game.
Thanks!
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
erilar

Post by erilar »

Finished the two DLC chapters (The Signal and The Writer) of Alan Wake yesterday. Really a great wrap up for the story, and a very satisfying ending that still leaves an opening for an AW2. Great stuff.

How's everyone's evenings looking this week? I'd like to get Jon caught up to us in Borderlands so we can get going on General Knoxx. I wouldn't mind staying up late this week some, since it's a short one.
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

I started Assassin's Creed this weekend. It's way more awesome than I had thought back when it came out. You're really not being sneaky at all. It's all about blending in... hiding in plain sight. I'm loving it. Completed my first assassination already. Looking forward to more this week.

I also really love that there is so much to do. It's the perfect game when I'm half asleep, because I can just run through the kingdom finding the high points. I'll be cracking away at this slowly as the week goes on.

I also played a bit of Enslaved... though it was a very little bit. I was too distracted by AC. Hopefully tonight I can get through stage 3 and maybe 4 before I get sucked back to AC ;)

Lance, when are you around this week? I can stay up pretty late Wednesday playing. Alternatively I can play tonight and postpone single player progress. Feel free to message me if I'm playing something else. Happy to jump into borderlands. I need to show off my new favorite gun! :D
erilar

Post by erilar »

We're leaving for Pittsburgh on Wednesday, so that night's no good. Let's find out if Jon is available tonight after work and go from there.
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

erilar wrote:We're leaving for Pittsburgh on Wednesday, so that night's no good. Let's find out if Jon is available tonight after work and go from there.
Not available tonight - need to work. As an FYI, I will probably not be on much during the next two weeks, as my class finally finishes up, and there's a great deal I need to do now that we are in the home stretch...
"Here are your waters and your watering place.
Drink and be whole again beyond confusion."
-- "Directive" by Robert Frost