The Initial Rule Books?

Discussions relating to the Paizo adventure Path.
T1Mirage

Re: The Initial Rule Books?

Post by T1Mirage »

It always made sense - that wasn't the question.

I was making sure nothing changed because I started seeing a lot more options, etc. and uncertain if the scope changed outside of the forums, etc.
The 1961 Ferrari 250GT California. Less than a hundred were made. My father spent three years restoring this car. It is his love, it is his passion.

It is his fault he didn't lock the garage.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

I want to go ahead and use three traits for the Second Darkness campaign:

2 basic traits (e.g. social, religion, etc.)
1 background trait

If you can't find a background trait that fits your character, you can take a racial or regional trait instead, but please post them to the forum so we can review the trait in question. When posting, explain how your character will tie into Riddleport in general, and the Gold Goblin in particular, in lieu of the background trait.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

T1Mirage wrote:I was making sure nothing changed because I started seeing a lot more options, etc. and uncertain if the scope changed outside of the forums, etc.
ok.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

After looking through the traits, I'm only going to take two traits - I can't really find a campaign one that fits my character idea, three traits seems like too many to me, and I really only like the two I posted earlier for my character concept.

And, as a side note, remember that traits give you a "trait" bonus and do not stack with each other.
"Here are your waters and your watering place.
Drink and be whole again beyond confusion."
-- "Directive" by Robert Frost
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Jonkga wrote:After looking through the traits, I'm only going to take two traits - I can't really find a campaign one that fits my character idea, three traits seems like too many to me, and I really only like the two I posted earlier for my character concept.

And, as a side note, remember that traits give you a "trait" bonus and do not stack with each other.
ok.
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

NukeHavoc wrote:
Jonkga wrote:After looking through the traits, I'm only going to take two traits - I can't really find a campaign one that fits my character idea, three traits seems like too many to me, and I really only like the two I posted earlier for my character concept.

ok.

Changed my mind. ;)

I am going with three traits - the two I listed before (Sacred Touch and Wisdom of the Flesh). And, I am going to choose one from the Second Darkness campaign traits list - if Ken approves my modifications to the flavor text.

I read through the ones on the campaign list, and they didn't fit with my character idea. But, if I change the flavor text a bit, then it would.

So, I am choosing #3 Looking for Work. This trait allows you to choose a skill, get a +1 bonus and make it a class skill. I would choose Diplomacy.

However, I am altering the feat flavor text as such:
Looking for Experience
As a wandering monk, Jheru is traveling the lands of the Inner Sea, looking to learn from his interactions with the people and environs he encounters. He has arrived at Riddleport, and at first blush, it appears to be as inhospitable a place as he'd heard on his travels. However, he has learned of a way he may truly get to know the real Riddleport: The gambling tournament at the Gold Goblin. He has the means to enter the tournament, and hopes that in doing so he may discover the fundamental truths of life in Riddleport. If that means staying on at the Gold Goblin longer than the tournament, well, maybe they need someone to pour tea...
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

My final trait selections:

Looking for Work (Campaign): +1 on Perception, Perception is always class skill
Originally, you could pick from Bluff, Craft (any), Diplomacy, Intimidate, Perform (any), Profession (gambler), or Spot, but Spot has become part of Perception in Pathfinder

Child of the Streets (Social): +1 on Sleight of Hand, Sleight of Hand is always a class skill
Originally bonus was to Gather Information in 3.5, but changed to Sleight of Hand in Pathfinder.

Cheap to Feed (Regional for Varisia): +3 on Bluff checks made to obtain food/drink/shelter
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Jonkga wrote:However, I am altering the feat flavor text as such:
Looking for Experience
As a wandering monk, Jheru is traveling the lands of the Inner Sea, looking to learn from his interactions with the people and environs he encounters. He has arrived at Riddleport, and at first blush, it appears to be as inhospitable a place as he'd heard on his travels. However, he has learned of a way he may truly get to know the real Riddleport: The gambling tournament at the Gold Goblin. He has the means to enter the tournament, and hopes that in doing so he may discover the fundamental truths of life in Riddleport. If that means staying on at the Gold Goblin longer than the tournament, well, maybe they need someone to pour tea...
Works for me. I like it!
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

My Trait Selections:

Armor Expert (Combat)
You have worn armor as long as you can remember, either as part of your training to become a knight’s squire or simply because you were seeking to emulate a hero. Your childhood armor wasn’t the real thing as far as protection, but it did encumber you as much as real armor would have, and you’ve grown used to moving in such suits with relative grace.
Benefit: When you wear armor of any sort, reduce that suit’s armor check penalty by 1, to a minimum check penalty of 0.

Tunnel Fighter (Dwarf)
Caves and tunnels are a second home to you.
Benefit: While underground, you receive a +2 trait bonus to initiative checks and a +1 trait bonus on weapon damage rolls for critical hits (this damage is multiplied on a critical hit).

Into Enemy Territory (Second Darkness)
Benefit: Choose 1 save type of saving throw. You receive a +1 trait bonus to any saving throw of that type.
Another daring escape for the intrepid Spaceman Spiff!
erilar

Post by erilar »

Here are the Traits that I was considering for Phil:

Researching the Blot (Campaign): You may or may not be seeking membership into Riddleport’s most prestigious magical guild, the Order of Cyphers, but you certainly have heard their call for aid in determining the nature of the strange shadow in the sky above Riddleport. You arrived in town several days ago and had some issues with security and safety at several inns before you fnally settled on the Gold Goblin; you’ve been staying there as a guest for several days now, and the owner, Saul Vancaskerkin, seems like a nice guy. He’s even given you a pass to attend the gambling tournament he’s about to throw—you’re not sure how into gambling you’ll be, but perhaps there’ll be some visitors from out of town you can talk to about the strange shadow in the sky. At the very least, you’re hoping someone at the tourney will be into magic—there’s not really enough folk in this town who seem all that interested in magic, you’ve found. Your interest in magic dates back quite far,
and as a result, you’ve developed a knack for identifying common magical items at a glance. You can use Spellcraft to identify magic items in the same way you can use Spellcraf to identify a potion. The DC to identify a magic item is equal to 20 + the item’s caster level.

Excitable (Combat, from Gnomes of Golarion): You demand that everything must happen right now, no matter what, and are too impatient to wait for everyone else to catch up. You fnish people’s sentences, blurt out the punch lines to slowly-told jokes, rarely make plans, and leap headlong into anything that looks like it might get interesting. While this has sometimes gotten you in trouble, it’s also trained you to start moving a split second before everyone else, and that’s saved your hide a few times as well. You gain a +2 trait bonus on all Initiative checks.

Focused Mind (Magic): Your childhood was either dominated by lessons of some sort (be they musical or academic) or by a horrible home life that encouraged your ability to block out distractions to focus on the immediate task at hand. You gain a +1 bonus on Concentration checks, and Concentration is always a class skill for you.

Except, the flavor text from this one doesn't fit my character at all. So, I'd like to re-write the fluff as follows:

ADHD (Magic): Your mind demands a greater degree of stimulus than the average Golarian. While others see you as spastic and easily distracted, in reality you are simply bored and searching for something - anything - to make the moment less tedious. As such, a certain amount of chaotic activity around you actually helps you to focus. You gain a +1 bonus on Concentration checks, and Concentration is always a class skill for you. Of course, at some point, even your thirst for stimulation has its limits, and you will eventually succumb to overwhelming levels of distraction.
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

erilar wrote:Here are the Traits that I was considering for Phil:

Researching the Blot (Campaign): You may or may not be seeking membership into Riddleport’s most prestigious magical guild, the Order of Cyphers, but you certainly have heard their call for aid in determining the nature of the strange shadow in the sky above Riddleport. You arrived in town several days ago and had some issues with security and safety at several inns before you fnally settled on the Gold Goblin; you’ve been staying there as a guest for several days now, and the owner, Saul Vancaskerkin, seems like a nice guy. He’s even given you a pass to attend the gambling tournament he’s about to throw—you’re not sure how into gambling you’ll be, but perhaps there’ll be some visitors from out of town you can talk to about the strange shadow in the sky. At the very least, you’re hoping someone at the tourney will be into magic—there’s not really enough folk in this town who seem all that interested in magic, you’ve found. Your interest in magic dates back quite far,
and as a result, you’ve developed a knack for identifying common magical items at a glance. You can use Spellcraft to identify magic items in the same way you can use Spellcraf to identify a potion. The DC to identify a magic item is equal to 20 + the item’s caster level.

Excitable (Combat, from Gnomes of Golarion): You demand that everything must happen right now, no matter what, and are too impatient to wait for everyone else to catch up. You fnish people’s sentences, blurt out the punch lines to slowly-told jokes, rarely make plans, and leap headlong into anything that looks like it might get interesting. While this has sometimes gotten you in trouble, it’s also trained you to start moving a split second before everyone else, and that’s saved your hide a few times as well. You gain a +2 trait bonus on all Initiative checks.

Focused Mind (Magic): Your childhood was either dominated by lessons of some sort (be they musical or academic) or by a horrible home life that encouraged your ability to block out distractions to focus on the immediate task at hand. You gain a +1 bonus on Concentration checks, and Concentration is always a class skill for you.

Except, the flavor text from this one doesn't fit my character at all. So, I'd like to re-write the fluff as follows:

ADHD (Magic): Your mind demands a greater degree of stimulus than the average Golarian. While others see you as spastic and easily distracted, in reality you are simply bored and searching for something - anything - to make the moment less tedious. As such, a certain amount of chaotic activity around you actually helps you to focus. You gain a +1 bonus on Concentration checks, and Concentration is always a class skill for you. Of course, at some point, even your thirst for stimulation has its limits, and you will eventually succumb to overwhelming levels of distraction.

Dude, this character sounds like he's going to be a whole bunch of fun to adventure with. :)