Hero Points

Discussions relating to the Paizo adventure Path.
NukeHavoc

Hero Points

Post by NukeHavoc »

Here's the Pathfinder SRD reference for Hero Points:
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/hero-points

Basically they function similarly to force points, but they're somewhat more powerful, and you get fewer of them. Everyone gets one hero point per level; you can earn extra ones for doing notable things in game.

I'm in favor of them; I got the sense from Sunday's game that most of the rest of the rest of the group was as well. Please read up on them and let me know if you have any questions/concerns/etc.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
NukeHavoc

Re: Hero Points

Post by NukeHavoc »

[bump] Any arguments for or against?
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

I like the mechanic enough but I question if they're actually necessary in a D&D/Pathfinder style game. "Luck" points have been around in D&D all the way back to the original Conan D&D adventures but they've never caught on as a core mechanic. I think there's a reason for that.

While Force Points worked well in SWSaga they made sense for the setting ('life creates it...'). For a D&D game, I'm not so sure. A +8 to a skill check or attack roll is certainly cool and reinforces the feel of heroic action but we're talking about reducing the possibility of failure. Even if just used in critical moments, how much does it adjust the game if we save up and use on the big bad? Or the critical skill challenge?
Another daring escape for the intrepid Spaceman Spiff!
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

You raise a good point. I think part of the problem with Action Points in earlier iterations of the game is that they didn't give enough of a bonus, and tended to get lost in the glow of spells and magic items, many of which could outshine them on a combat-to-combat basis. I think the +8 bonus to a check helps offset that.

IMHO Star Wars didn't have this problem, because there were so few things than could give you a big bonus.

I think the big question is what kind of campaign do folks want? Do you want something that lets the dice fall where they may, or do you want something in your backpocket to rely on? Would you rather

So far the campaign seems to be trending toward the former, rather than the later, but it's only been two sessions.
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

My vote is in favor of using the Hero Points. Overall, I feel that, specifically for us as a gaming group, the inclusion of things like Action or Force Points has led to more cinematic type occurances, even when the points were exhausted or not used.
"Here are your waters and your watering place.
Drink and be whole again beyond confusion."
-- "Directive" by Robert Frost
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Jonkga wrote: the inclusion of things like Action or Force Points has led to more cinematic type occurances, even when the points were exhausted or not used.
That's a good point. They did make things a bit more memorable. I vote yes, too. :)
Another daring escape for the intrepid Spaceman Spiff!
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

They're fine with me, no objections.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Ok, we'll use Hero Points then.

Everyone starts with 1 hero point. The following characters gained an additional hero point for completing their character write-ups:

Jheru, Human Monk 1 (Jon)
Skender, Human Rogue 1 (Nate)
Korlandril, Elf Sorcerer 1 (Damon)
Phillymondiuspartigan Jones, Gnome Wizard 1 (Lance)

We'll also use the related hero point feats, spells and magic items as detailed in the wiki link above (and the Advanced Player's Guide).
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

Those of us who leveled tonight gain an additional Hero Point. That brings me, and some of you as well, to a total of three. As I forgot to use these tonight, and want to, I double-checked the rules: three is the most you can accumulate at any one time. Further incentive to remember to use these as early as next session. ;)
"Here are your waters and your watering place.
Drink and be whole again beyond confusion."
-- "Directive" by Robert Frost
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

I had a bunch of poker chips stacked up and ready to distribute to represent Hero Points, but forgot with all of the family confusion Sunday night.