Ch. 1, Interlude 1: Turning a Profit

Discussions relating to the Paizo adventure Path.
NukeHavoc

Ch. 1, Interlude 1: Turning a Profit

Post by NukeHavoc »

You are now all gainfully employed by the Gold Goblin in Riddleport, earning 10 gp a week (more if you can bolster the Goblin's profits). Should you need them, each of you has a room of your own at the gambling hall.

As junior partners, the owner Saul is looking to you to help him turn the gambling hall around and help it return a profit. There are a number of things you can do to help, such as:

* Bluff: Trick/cajole citizens of the city into visiting the Goblin.
* Craft: Create advertisements and spread them throughout the city.
* Diplomacy: Work the crowd at the Goblin, making them feel like honored guests. Or walk the streets of the city encouraging people to visit.
* Intimidate: Work as a bouncer, separating the wheat from the chaff at the gambling hall. Driving off the riffraff is good for business.
* Intimidate: Threaten customers of other gambling halls, "encouraging" them to visit the Goblin or suffer the consequences.
* Perform: Play that funky music, elf boy.
* Profession (Gambler): Work as a dealer at the Goblin.
* Perception: Watch for cheaters and other underhanded scum at the Goblin.

If you like, we can run this part of the game online -- just let me know what you'd like to do to help the cause, choosing from the list above or adding your own solutions. If choosing from the list above, post the results of the appropriate skill check as well. If something else, let me know what you're doing and I'll give you the appropriate skill. Attempting to return the Goblin to profitability is basically an open ended skill challenge, but with no limit to the number of failures. :)

If you'd like to do something else during the downtime, let me know. Most of these tasks will only take a few hours, so you'll have time to do other things in Riddleport if you like.

Locations in Riddleport

Inn of the Black Hart: A rundown inn run by a dour widow and her two teenage daughters
Gold Goblin Gambling Hall: A gambling hall that's opened and closed a half dozen times in the last few years.
Green Griffin Inn: A well-run inn in the Inner Harbor District.
Publican House: The city's Temple of Cayden Cailean.
Mystery of the Gate: An inn and tavern favored by visting scholars who come to study the Cyphergate.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
EvilGenius

Re: Interlude 1: Turning a Profit

Post by EvilGenius »

Ken,

I'll keep an eye on the patrons with Perception and Sense Motive checks. I'll alternate that with hanging out in bars/taverns and brag up how much gold I've won from the place (Bluff).
Another daring escape for the intrepid Spaceman Spiff!
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Perception: You spend some time up on the catwalk eyeballing customers down in the pits. This takes two hours; make a Perception check.

Sense Motive: You work the crowd, milling about at the tables, skulking in shadows, etc. keeping an eye out for cheats. Make a Sense Motive check.

Bluff: You head out on a tour of inns and taverns in Riddleport, including The Green Griffin Inn, Mystery of the Gate, the Inn of the Black Hart, and Publican House. Make a Bluff check.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Wow, Diceonomicon is friendly today!
Perception: roll =15, skill mod is +5, check =20
Sense Motive: roll =13, skill mod is +5, check =18
Bluff: roll =14, skill mid is +4, check is 18
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

So, The Gold Goblin is in the Wharf district, right? And the Wharf district is pretty rough, right?

So, Jheru is going to spend some time wandering around the streets of the Wharf districts, looking for well-to-do folks just off of ships to direct towards the Gold Goblin for entertainment. (Diplomacy, possibly also Intimidate to impress on them that I can protect them)

Also, he is going to begin serviing tea at the Gold Goblin during "tea time" hours prior to it getting busy for gambling, in an effort to get some different folks interested in visiting. (Perform - chadoa: "tea ceremony")

Also, Jheru will visit the Free-Coin district, specifically Overlord Camarky's gaming halls to try and get ideas for what Saul should do/offer at the Gold Goblin to be able to compete for the business of more than just the lower classes of the Wharf district. (Perception, Sense Motive)

Also, in reverence of Iro-Shu (Irori), he will suggest to Saul that maybe a no-weapons, boxing/fighting type exhibition (which of course could be bet on) be staged at the Gold Goblin. If Saul agrees, Jheru would also spread the word about this, again focusing on some of the more affluent districts (Windward, Devil's Fork, Lubbertown, Leeward), perhaps focusing spearately on the gendarmes (trying to convince them to show their strength) and those who are in opposition to them (enforcers from some of the crimelords, controllers of Lubbertown). (Diplomacy, Intimidate for tai chi type displays, etc.)

Finally, Jheru will spend some time exploring the city and tying to learn about Riddleport and the ebb and flow of life in the city. (Perception, Sense Motive)
"Here are your waters and your watering place.
Drink and be whole again beyond confusion."
-- "Directive" by Robert Frost
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

Also, seeing as he is not really the guy to do it, Jheru will suggest to the more arcane-inclined members of our erstwhile party that they might want to begin making connections with Tammerhawk's Order of Cyphers in any way they can, as having that group on the Gold Goblin's side might not be a bad thing, Riddleport politics being what they are.
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

Also, out of character, anyone interested in the Blot or the Cyphergate might want to take some time to begin those investigations while we are getting the Gold Goblin on its feet, as well. Just a thought...
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Woowwww!! Lookit Jon busting out all of the setting specific knowledge ...... :D
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Jonkga wrote:So, The Gold Goblin is in the Wharf district, right? And the Wharf district is pretty rough, right?
Yes. There’s a lot of working class types in the district – longshoremen, day laborers, etc. as well as merchant men arranging transport of goods, shop keepers hawking wares just off the boat, an open air fish market, etc. There’s also all manner of scum, pickpockets and worse running their various scams and rackets.
Jonkga wrote:So, Jheru is going to spend some time wandering around the streets of the Wharf districts, looking for well-to-do folks just off of ships to direct towards the Gold Goblin for entertainment. (Diplomacy, possibly also Intimidate to impress on them that I can protect them)
OK, go for it. I think Diplomacy is your best bet here.
Also, he is going to begin serving tea at the Gold Goblin during "tea time" hours prior to it getting busy for gambling, in an effort to get some different folks interested in visiting. (Perform - chadoa: "tea ceremony")
Great idea. Go ahead and make the check with a +2 coolness bonus. :)
Also, Jheru will visit the Free-Coin district, specifically Overlord Camarky's gaming halls to try and get ideas for what Saul should do/offer at the Gold Goblin to be able to compete for the business of more than just the lower classes of the Wharf district. (Perception, Sense Motive)
OK. When doing this how are you approaching he gaming halls? As a patron? High-roller? Low-roller? Someone who’s just taking in the sites? Oriental visitors are not rare in Riddleport thanks to caravans that occasionally come over the Crown of the World, but they are not necessarily common. Go ahead an make both rolls.
Also, in reverence of Iro-Shu (Irori), he will suggest to Saul that maybe a no-weapons, boxing/fighting type exhibition (which of course could be bet on) be staged at the Gold Goblin. If Saul agrees, Jheru would also spread the word about this, again focusing on some of the more affluent districts (Windward, Devil's Fork, Lubbertown, Leeward), perhaps focusing spearately on the gendarmes (trying to convince them to show their strength) and those who are in opposition to them (enforcers from some of the crimelords, controllers of Lubbertown). (Diplomacy, Intimidate for tai chi type displays, etc.)
OK, let’s save this check for Interlude 2. Saul is interested in this exhibition, but he’s got his hands full getting the getting the Goblin back up to speed in its first full week of operation.

Finally, Jheru will spend some time exploring the city and tying to learn about Riddleport and the ebb and flow of life in the city. (Perception, Sense Motive)[/quote]

Sure. Go ahead and make those checks.
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

OK, Jheru's Diplomacy roll for getting folks off the boats to the Gold Goblin:
13 +5 = 18

Jheru's Perform (chadoa) roll for the tea ceremony:
14 +2 +1 = 17

Jheru's Perception and Sense Motive for checking out the competing gambling establishments:
Perception: 7 +3 = 10
Sense Motive: 5 +3 = 8
And, yes, he'd primarily be going as a foreigner just checking things out, but much as he did in the Gold Goblin, he'd spend some coin and do some low stakes gambling, etc. So, I'll add a Diplomacy roll for smoothing out any miscommunications around the gaming table, etc. that he may encounter here. After all, his overall goal is certainly not to bring any ill will to the Gold Goblin, much as Saul seems to want to set it up in an adversarial role with his competitors.
Diplomacy: 20 +5 = 25

Jheru's Perception and Sense Motive for getting a feel for the town:
Sense Motive: 9 +3 = 12
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

EvilGenius wrote:Wow, Diceonomicon is friendly today!
Perception: roll =15, skill mod is +5, check =20
Sense Motive: roll =13, skill mod is +5, check =18
Bluff: roll =14, skill mid is +4, check is 18
Up on the catwalk Tholyr picks out (Perception 20) a gang of would-be card counters working the Golem tables (a game similar to poker). He then heads down into the pits to get a closer look (Sense Motive 18) which confirms his suspicions. He motions to Jorm, who joins him in the pit. After a whispered exchange, Jorm heads over to the gang, and one intimidating look from the warrior is enough to send the pack of three scurrying from the Gold Goblin

Over the next few nights Tholyr tours the inns and taverns of Riddleport, bragging about how much coin he’s won and dropping just enough silver – and flashing enough gold -- to back up his boasts (Bluff 18). By week’s end, a small mob of goldstruck gamblers has show up at the Goblin.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

OK, Jheru's Diplomacy roll for getting folks off the boats to the Gold Goblin:
13 +5 = 18
Ignoring the rough, hard-drinking Kalsgardi caravan traders out of the Lands of the Linnorm Kings, Jheru finds two trade ships in from the kingdoms of Andoran and Taldor – the Gold Griffon and the Windseer respectively. He introduces himself to their captains, and convinces them to spend some time at the Gold Goblin.
Jheru's Perform (chadoa) roll for the tea ceremony:
14 +2 +1 = 17
The captains enjoy the tea ceremony and the thoughtful conversation that follows, and agree to break their fast at the Goblin again the follow morning, bringing several of their crew with them. Word begins to spread among the more refined captains at the docks that the Gold Goblin is the place to go for refined conversation and surprisingly good tea. There's talk about playing some friendly, upscale games of chance as well.
Jheru's Perception and Sense Motive for checking out the competing gambling establishments: Perception: 7 +3 = 10,Sense Motive: 5 +3 = 8; Diplomacy: 20 +5 = 25 (to smooth over any problems)
Jheru is bewildered by the sheer volume of games, noise and crowds generated by the larger gambling halls. They’re nothing like the Gold Goblin, whose crowds are never even a tenth as big as this. He manages to get in a few games, but is unable to concentrate on the dice tumbling across the table nor the milling crowds around him.
Jheru's Perception and Sense Motive for getting a feel for the town:
Sense Motive: 9 +3 = 12
After the gambling halls, Jheru spends time wandering Riddleport. He finds that the city is the gambling halls writ large: the chaos of the games is reflected in the chaos of the streets, which are as dirty as they are dangerous. It’s hard to see beyond the malstrom of humanity, and Jheru finds himself constantly getting caught up in the mundane dramas of begging orphans, brawling drunkards, and arguing street vendors.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

End of Week 1

Tholyr +2
Jheru +2
Skender +2
Saul's Profession (Gambler) +6

Die roll: 9 + 6 + 6 = 21

Saul calls a staff meeting for Sunday morning to give everyone their pay. "We did good this week boys. Even better than I expected after that fight at "'Cheat the Devil'". He stacks up gleaming columns of gold -- 10 gp each -- before his junior partners. "Well done, well done. I knew hiring you was the right thing to do!"

Everyone in the party gets 10 gp and 100 xp. Tholyr, Jheru and Skender get an additional 100 xp for their work around town.