Ch. 2, Interlude 3: Coins and Blood

Discussions relating to the Paizo adventure Path.
Lars Porsenna

Re: Ch. 2, Interlude 3: Coins and Blood

Post by Lars Porsenna »

Yes, Kor could contribute 100gp to this caper. I'll put it on my expense report... :)

Damon.
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"
Modeling the Ecuadorian Military: https://ecuadorianmilitary.blogspot.com/
My Book Blog: http://bookslikedust.blogspot.com/
My Minis Blog: http://minislikedust.blogspot.com/
erilar

Post by erilar »

setanta14 wrote:Skender can also throw in 100gp towards the donation to the temple/priestess.

Our questions should start with whether Feldin is alive or dead, if Smeed was paid the money, and if Saul had anything to do with Feldin's disappearance.
Ditto on pitching in 100gp.

If we get further questions, then it depends on whether Smeed received the payment or not. If he did, then we know we have to lean on him. If he did not, then:
"Was Feldin involved in trying to steal the payment intended for Smeed?"
"Was Saul trying to steal the payment?"
"Did Boss Croat's organization receive the gold?"
"Did Clegg's organization receive the gold?"
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

setanta14 wrote:Alrighty then, Skender will spend a little more time flirting with Carlila, and promises her that he'll come back for an 'extended' (pun intended) visit later to more fully pursue mysteries of Calistria (she was already Skender's patron), and he will in the mean time ask Carlila to Augur whether an important meeting that Skender has coming up will result in weal or woe (the one with a certain crime boss). He will let her know that he will speak with Jheru and the rest of his companions as to whether they want to retain the services of the High Priestess... Jheru?
Weal.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

erilar wrote:Good ideas, all. Phil will try to get into the floor manager's office to go over the books.
Understood. I'll reply to this later.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

erilar wrote:
setanta14 wrote:Skender can also throw in 100gp towards the donation to the temple/priestess.

Our questions should start with whether Feldin is alive or dead, if Smeed was paid the money, and if Saul had anything to do with Feldin's disappearance.

If we get further questions, then it depends on whether Smeed received the payment or not. If he did, then we know we have to lean on him. If he did not, then:
Ah, my friends ... long have you lived in the land of high level divination spells.

Augury yields you one weal or woe answer to a single question.

Divination is similar, but also gives you a piece of advice about the question:
Similar to augury but more powerful, a divination spell can provide you with a useful piece of advice in reply to a question concerning a specific goal, event, or activity that is to occur within 1 week. The advice granted by the spell can be as simple as a short phrase, or it might take the form of a cryptic rhyme or omen
I should have been more specific when talking about questions, answers and auguries. :)

I think everyone's thinking of commune. This is a 5th level spell that allows for multiple questions (one question per caster level). As a 10th level cleric, Madam Pamodae can cast this spell, but it is very expensive: 1,000 gp (that includes the caster level cost plus the exotic materials needed for casting the spell). Commune is the spell that Kalib and Justiceseeker often used to such great effect.
You contact your deity—or agents thereof—and ask questions that can be answered by a simple yes or no. (A cleric of no particular deity contacts a philosophically allied deity.) You are allowed one such question per caster level. The answers given are correct within the limits of the entity's knowledge. “Unclear” is a legitimate answer, because powerful beings of the Outer Planes are not necessarily omniscient. In cases where a one-word answer would be misleading or contrary to the deity's interests, a short phrase (five words or less) may be given as an answer instead.
Which isn't to say that Jheru might not be able to charm her into casting it ... but it is considerably more expensive than a divination
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

NukeHavoc wrote:
erilar wrote:

Ah, my friends ... long have you lived in the land of high level divination spells.

Augury yields you one weal or woe answer to a single question.

Divination is similar, but also gives you a piece of advice about the question:
Similar to augury but more powerful, a divination spell can provide you with a useful piece of advice in reply to a question concerning a specific goal, event, or activity that is to occur within 1 week. The advice granted by the spell can be as simple as a short phrase, or it might take the form of a cryptic rhyme or omen
I should have been more specific when talking about questions, answers and auguries. :)

I think everyone's thinking of commune. This is a 5th level spell that allows for multiple questions (one question per caster level). As a 10th level cleric, Madam Pamodae can cast this spell, but it is very expensive: 1,000 gp (that includes the caster level cost plus the exotic materials needed for casting the spell). Commune is the spell that Kalib and Justiceseeker often used to such great effect.
You contact your deity—or agents thereof—and ask questions that can be answered by a simple yes or no. (A cleric of no particular deity contacts a philosophically allied deity.) You are allowed one such question per caster level. The answers given are correct within the limits of the entity's knowledge. “Unclear” is a legitimate answer, because powerful beings of the Outer Planes are not necessarily omniscient. In cases where a one-word answer would be misleading or contrary to the deity's interests, a short phrase (five words or less) may be given as an answer instead.
Which isn't to say that Jheru might not be able to charm her into casting it ... but it is considerably more expensive than a divination

I wasn't able to reply in full during the day today, but yeah, I was going to clarify this matter. :)
Another daring escape for the intrepid Spaceman Spiff!
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

For Skender, the main question he would like divined is "Did Saul Vancaskerkin have any involvement with the disappearance of Larur Feldin beyond what he has already disclosed to us?"
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Jonkga wrote:For right now I am content to continue hosting the Captain's Teas at the Gold Goblin. And, the Triton Championship, should that become a recurring (annual?) event. However, I may begin to remove myself from other day to day workings at the hall if Saul is going to continue his shady dealings. In fact, I may begin to look for lodging outside of the hall. Jheru is certainly not happy to be looked upon as a Thug working for anyone, let alone such a questionable person as Saul. Being seen as intimidating isn't something that bothers him, but he would prefer folks not assume he is in league with one of such a devious, and truth be told, ineffectual, nature.
Understood. Is anyone else doing anything to help with the Goblin's profitability during this week (aside from the investigation, which ultimately doesn't help the bottom line this week).
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

setanta14 wrote:For Skender, the main question he would like divined is "Did Saul Vancaskerkin have any involvement with the disappearance of Larur Feldin beyond what he has already disclosed to us?"
This does seem to get at the heart of the matter, and seems appropriate for a divination spell.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

setanta14 wrote:For Skender, the main question he would like divined is "Did Saul Vancaskerkin have any involvement with the disappearance of Larur Feldin beyond what he has already disclosed to us?"
This will take a Commune spell. Divination has to be framed in the same way as Augury. "If I take action A, will result be weal/woe?". However, Divination gives you a useful piece of advice also.

If you want to ask a yes/no question, that takes Commune.
Another daring escape for the intrepid Spaceman Spiff!
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

Well, if we can find a way to either scrape together 1000gp or some combination of coin/favors/flattery to get a Commune cast, I think we should try. We can use some of the questions for our others pursuits, such as researching the Blot, the Cyphergate, etc.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

EvilGenius wrote:This will take a Commune spell. Divination has to be framed in the same way as Augury. "If I take action A, will result be weal/woe?". However, Divination gives you a useful piece of advice also. If you want to ask a yes/no question, that takes Commune.
Reading through everything again, yeah, you're right.
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

Well, two things going on here: One, I was trying to find out what we needed to know, so many of these questions are in response to that, not specifically for what we will ask the High Priestess. Two, then consult the High Priestess. So, we will reformat our questioning once we determine what it is we really want/need to know, and what we can afford.

I assume that all we will be able to afford will be a divination, so of course we will format our request as such. However, that is a ways off, as we still haven't actually set up the meeting with the High Priestess yet.

And, it seems from everyone's responses that what we really need to determine is whether or not this is a plot *by* Saul or *against* Saul. And, as Jheru is not specifically a diviner, he assumes that when he explains this to the High Priestess, she will be able to help him correctly phrase his inquiry according to her needs and the needs of her Goddess.

Finally, while Jheru will certainly be diplomatic with the High Priestess, he is certainly not endeavouring to convince her to do anything other than help clear up this issue: he wants to build connections, not strain them immediately or do anything that would be out of the bounds of *his* propriety (not necessarily hers).
"Here are your waters and your watering place.
Drink and be whole again beyond confusion."
-- "Directive" by Robert Frost
erilar

Post by erilar »

Sounds good, Jheru.

Also wanted to mention that Phil is likewise interested in looking into the Blot very soon. He's just in the mind set of getting everything settled down for his current employer (and perhaps more importantly, landlord) before getting to that topic. However, if the Goblin continues its status as potentially-sinking ship for long, Phil is little and everyone knows the rats jump first...

He's also interested in researching about runes and the Cyphergate, but his assumption there is that will be more of a long-term vocation. After all, Phil is smart and all, but folks have been studying that thing for years. If there is indeed a Rosetta Stone somewhere though, Phil is all about being on the discovery team. :)
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
erilar

Post by erilar »

Listening to some Tom Waits this a.m., cause, well, it goes well with a hangover I suppose. :)

Anyways, I wanted to post the lyrics to his song Singapore, because it seems to go along well with our campaign. Maybe look up an MP3 when you read along:
We sail tonight for Singapore
We're all as mad as hatters here
I've fallen for a tawny moor
Took off to the land of Nod
Drank with all the Chinamen
Walked the sewers of Paris
I danced along a colored wind
Dangled from a rope of sand
You must say goodbye to me

Don't fall asleep while you're ashore
Cross your heart and hope to die
When you hear the children cry
Let marrow bone and cleaver choose
While making feet for children shoes
Through the alley
Back from Hell
When you hear that steeple bell
You must say goodbye to me.
Wipe him down with gasoline
Till his arms are hard and mean,
From now on boys this iron boat's your home
So heave away boys.

Take your blankets from the floor
Wash your mouth out by the door
The whole town is made of iron ore
Every witness turns to steam
They all become Italian dreams
Fill your pockets up with earth
Get yourself a dollar's worth
Away boys, away, boys, heave away
The captain is a one-armed dwarf
He's throwing dice along the wharf
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is King
So take this ring
I'll sing it "The captain is a stabby dwarf" from now on! :lol: