Interlude 1: Exploring Farweald

The 5th Editon playtest campaign.
EvilGenius

Re: Interlude 1: Exploring Farweald

Post by EvilGenius »

Mordai strides down the southeastern street toward where he last saw the tieflings. The street and terrain rises, and the row of houses on your right becomes shoddier the further you go down the street. As you crest the small ridge and start down the other side, you see a large section of town filled with decaying old buildings. Some buildings have obviously been torn down and cobbled together into larger makeshift shelters. On your left, at the top of the hilltop you spied from the town center, there is a large statue of a stern looking man with a wild beard, pointing down at the strange shantytown, as if in judgement.

This must the "Invisibles" mentioned by that lout at the Tinkers Rest.

You walk toward the ramshackle buildings. There are few lights here; your people do not typically need them. Still, in the wan moonlight, you notice several other tieflings casually positioned in different spots to watch the road. Before going much farther, a cloaked and hooded figure appears before you in a puff of smoke and holds up a hand in warning. "Hold, brother. We would know your name and business before you venture further into the Invisibles."
Another daring escape for the intrepid Spaceman Spiff!
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Brigga (and whoever decides to go with her) heads back down the small street to the Tinker's Rest. The inn is a three story building with a wide covered porch on the ground floor. There are several lights lit throughout the building but the upper stories, which you presume would be guest rooms, are almost all dark. Still, as you climb the short steps to the ground floor, the place seems moderately busy.

You enter a large common room, similar to any number of inns or taverns you have encountered. There is a large fireplace in the back of the common room, quite a few tables and a decent sized bar. There are maybe a dozen people here eating dinner or at the bar. An matronly gnomish woman delivering drinks to a table sees you standing at the door. "Come on in and take a seat anywhere you like, dearies! I'll be with you in just a moment!"

Your group finds an open table near the cozy fireplace and shortly the gnomish woman comes over to you. "Welcome to the Tinker's Rest! You're those new guards that came in with Lonz, aren't you? Please don't judge us all by Him!! I heard you had some trouble on the road, though, din'cha? Silly bandits, anyways, attacking an armed caravan. I suppose they can't help their circumstances, but I just don't think it's right to try and rob and murder people! I'm sorry but that's just the way I was raised!
Oh! Where are my manners?? I'm Irild Hodzik; my husband Gellund and I own this upstanding establishment! Will you be needing rooms and dinner? Are you staying in town long? What can I get for you, dears? The venison stew is particularly spicy tonight. How about some drinks to start? We have a lovely dark ale and even some elvish wines, if you're partial to that sort. Well, speak up, dearies!"
Lars Porsenna

Post by Lars Porsenna »

EvilGenius wrote:...a cloaked and hooded figure appears before you in a puff of smoke and holds up a hand in warning. "Hold, brother. We would know your name and business before you venture further into the Invisibles."
"Greetings, brother. I am Mordai. I am kin, if not by blood than by circumstance. As you might know, my kind are not much welcome here. I have been turned away from shelter where I seek it, but thought perhaps I could find succor amongst my own kind that bear the marks of our heritage. I am poor, and can offer little aside good companionship and mutual understanding..."

Damon.
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"
Modeling the Ecuadorian Military: https://ecuadorianmilitary.blogspot.com/
My Book Blog: http://bookslikedust.blogspot.com/
My Minis Blog: http://minislikedust.blogspot.com/
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Lars Porsenna wrote:
EvilGenius wrote:...a cloaked and hooded figure appears before you in a puff of smoke and holds up a hand in warning. "Hold, brother. We would know your name and business before you venture further into the Invisibles."
"Greetings, brother. I am Mordai. I am kin, if not by blood than by circumstance. As you might know, my kind are not much welcome here. I have been turned away from shelter where I seek it, but thought perhaps I could find succor amongst my own kind that bear the marks of our heritage. I am poor, and can offer little aside good companionship and mutual understanding..."

Damon.

The figure before you relaxes and lowers her hood. Your supposition is confirmed when you see the telltale horns and her dark red complexion. "Well met, Mordai, I am Akriah. I am not surprised you have found little welcome in Farweald, our kind are not looked upon kindly, here. Unpleasant memories, perhaps." She smiles wryly at that. "There is a place in the Invisibles where you can stay. I don't know if it will be to your liking, but if not, you can always camp out on the hilltop with old Telchur, there." She points to the accusatory statue you noticed, which you can now see overlooks the whole of the Invisibles. "As for good companionship, well, we'll see. You'll probably at least have to buy a girl a few drinks first." Akriah laughs at Mordai's uncomfortable blushing.

(Damon, you can make a History or Religion roll regarding Telchur, if you would like)

Akriah turns and leads you further down the road. It seems the land is quite a bit in this corner of town, though the land on which the wall is built seems level with other parts of town, leading to a sunken and oppressive feeling with towering walls. You pass many single story buildings in poor repair. Many look abandoned altogether. Looking back toward the town center, you can't see anything at all beyond the ridge you crossed; for all intents and purposes you may as well be in a completely separate town.

You are led down a few side streets and pause in front of a building that looks as ramshackle as any of the others. Akriah looks back at you and flashes a wicked grin, "there's no place like home, eh", and disappears through the dark doorway. You are momentarily fearful of some sort of trap, but decide to follow anyway, trusting your skills to see you through any unpleasantness.

You enter the building in time to see your guide disappearing into a trap door in the far corner of the room. Two burly tieflings are obviously on guard duty; one of them holds the trap door for Akriah. She grins at you, "just a little further, brother" and disappears down the ladder.

What do you do? :)
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Jareth and Erk (and whomever else goes with them) set out for the Hunters' Lodge, near the eastern gate. You wander back down the street toward the center of town, past the warm light spilling out from most of the homes along way. As you enter the large open market area you think you see Mordai as he disappears down the southeastern street, passing out of the lit area in front of a large stone building topped by a dome.

You make you way through the various tents and stalls, all packed up now, except for one. This modest tent has no side walls, and you can see a sturdy stone table with an elaborate, almost decorative, set of scales and weights. The apparatus looks like it's made of bronze or some similar metal. You wonder why it has been left in the open like this, but in truth, it looks awkward and heavy. You continue on down the eastern street.

Trees line both sides of this pleasant street, and most of the houses are set back from the road a bit, conveying a dignified feeling. About halfway to the gate, on the south side of the street, you see a slightly larger building with a sign out front which reads "Two Birds". As you pass by, you see a few archery targets behind the building.

As you approach the Eastern Gate you see two guards on raised platforms, looking out over the wall, and another two guards to one side of the gate.

Just before the gate, on the north side of the street you see a lot of light spilling out of a one story building with a well maintained thatch roof. The Lodge is constructed in a U shape, with a small courtyard in between two wings. On the south side of the road, almost directly across from the Lodge, is a stone statue of a laughing elf, hoisting a mug in one hand and holding a large re-curve bow in the other. The statue looks well cared for and there are bright flowers which have been placed on the pedestal.

You walk through the small gate to the lodge, cross the courtyard and enter the warmly lit building. As you open the door and see a well kept tavern, replete with hunting trophies decorating the walls. There are about a dozen people laughing and drinking around the bar and another several people eating at tables. A pretty human woman spies you at the door and calls out, "Take a seat wherever you'd like. I'll be with you in a minute" as she delivers a platter of food to a table by the fire.

You sit down at one of the tables and observe the other people in the Lodge. The patrons are mostly human and are mostly dressed as laborers, though there are several elves throughout, and several patrons who are dressed more for outdoors professions (wood cutters, trappers, hunters, etc). You also see 3 human guardsmen mixing with the rest of the crowd. It is apparent that everyone here knows each other and everyone seems quite friendly. More than a few people glance your way but everyone nods amicably toward you.

After a moment the tavern maid comes over to your table. "Oh, strangers in town, eh? My name is Julia Mathers. My pa and I run the Lodge here. We've got a savory stew, venison, fowl and my father's specialty, river pike from the north edge of the forest in a spicy sauce. Plus ale and wine. And since you're new in town, you'll need a place to stay? We have nice private rooms here, reasonable rates. So what'll you have?"
Last edited by EvilGenius on Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lars Porsenna

Post by Lars Porsenna »

EvilGenius wrote: You enter the building in time to see your guide disappearing into a trap door in the far corner of the room. Two burly tieflings are obviously on guard duty; one of them holds the trap door for Akriah. She grins at you, "just a little further, brother" and disappears down the ladder.

What do you do? :)
I nod at the tiefling bouncers knowingly, putting on my best "this may be a trap, right?" expressions, and go through the trap door and down the ladder... :twisted:

Damon.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Lars Porsenna wrote:I nod at the tiefling bouncers knowingly, putting on my best "this may be a trap, right?" expressions, and go through the trap door and down the ladder... :twisted:

Damon.

As you descend the ladder into the unknown, you can't help but feel a little worried. Maybe it wasn't a great idea to run off all by yourself in a strange town and follow a stranger into a dark basement?

As soon as your head is below the level of the floor the trap door above you slams shut and you hear bolts sliding into place. You look around wildly as a sinister chuckle fills your hea.... no wait! That wasn't sinister, it was just your guide chuckling at your jumpy nature! :)

You finish descending the ladder into a largish basement room, comfortably set up as a central living area. You guess the passageways leading out of the central area lead to living spaces, and you hear children's laughter echoing from further in.

There are several more tieflings here, including a few guards, and your guide, Akriah. She looks you over and says, "you're either brave, desperate or altogether too trusting, Modai. Or maybe I am for bringing you here. Before we go any further, though, we have more questions." At that, Akriah draws a wicked looking dagger and the other guards also draw blades, though no one makes any obvious moves toward you.

"Where do you come from, brother. Who sent you? Are you working for anyone in town? What is your true purpose in coming to the Invisibles? Who are you looking for? Who. Are. You?" As Akriah fires off these rapid questions, her tone darkens and she takes a step toward you, dagger raised.

What do you do, Damon?
Lars Porsenna

Post by Lars Porsenna »

"Whoa! I'm just a traveler here, given the cold shoulder by much of the town. I'm not looking to join anyone, work for anyone, or do anything to anyone. I'm just looking for a place to lay my head down, maybe get a meal, and be on my way. As you might know, this town is not friendly to our kind. I have a vague urge to improve the people's lot here too, but mostly I'm just looking for a place to rest for the night..."

Damon.
erose914

Post by erose914 »

EvilGenius wrote:After a moment the tavern maid comes over to your table. "Oh, strangers in town, eh? My name is Julia Mathers. My pa and I run the Lodge here. We've got a savory stew, venison, fowl and my father's specialty, river pike from the north edge of the forest in a spicy sauce. Plus ale and wine. And since you're new in town, you'll need a place to stay? We have nice private rooms here, reasonable rates. So what'll you have?"
"River pike, yuck! (makes a gross face) I'll take venison and wine!" I then take the closest table to the fire that is open.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

erose914 wrote:
EvilGenius wrote:After a moment the tavern maid comes over to your table. "Oh, strangers in town, eh? My name is Julia Mathers. My pa and I run the Lodge here. We've got a savory stew, venison, fowl and my father's specialty, river pike from the north edge of the forest in a spicy sauce. Plus ale and wine. And since you're new in town, you'll need a place to stay? We have nice private rooms here, reasonable rates. So what'll you have?"
"River pike, yuck! (makes a gross face) I'll take venison and wine!" I then take the closest table to the fire that is open.
Julia grins and takes everyone's order. Soon after, you are all eating one of the best meals you can ever remember having.

After your meal you can retire to your rooms or hang out in the tavern area.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Lars Porsenna wrote:"Whoa! I'm just a traveler here, given the cold shoulder by much of the town. I'm not looking to join anyone, work for anyone, or do anything to anyone. I'm just looking for a place to lay my head down, maybe get a meal, and be on my way. As you might know, this town is not friendly to our kind. I have a vague urge to improve the people's lot here too, but mostly I'm just looking for a place to rest for the night..."

Damon.
Huh, I replied to this last night but it's gone. :/

Akriah moves closer, menacingly. "I'd like to believe you, Mordai, I really would. But strange Tieflings have shown up here before, asking for shelter, and then turned out to have darker purposes. And in the past few years some of us have ... changed. And some of us have disappeared altogether. So we're going to have a few more ... questions." The other tiefling guards raise their blades and move closer.

You back up against the ladder, preparing to summon your magic to defend yourself when you notice a vague, itchy sensation in your mind. You've encountered this before in your youth, someone is trying to affect your mind with magic! You instinctively try and resist and the itchy sensation subsides. You're not sure if you were successful in resisting or if the mental probe had simply gotten what it needed.

Your awareness snaps back to your surroundings as Akriah and the guards relax and sheathe their blades. "Well, seems you really are OK, Mordai. I apologize if we frightened you," Akriah grins wickedly at that, "but I'm sure you can understand our caution. Welcome to The Invisibles, proper," her wave encompasses the basement and the passageways out. "Our tunnels run all through this end of town. Plenty of room here, and we look out for each other. Townfolk think we live above in those hovels. It's fairly easy to maintain the misdirection since our kind don't need lights at night. A few of us moving around from building to building does the trick."

More tieflings come out of the tunnels, including some children, carrying platters and pitchers. Akriah motions you to join her at a long table and you proceed to have one of the best meals of venison stew and warm, soft brown bread that you've ever had in your whole life.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

EvilGenius wrote:"Oh! Where are my manners?? I'm Irild Hodzik; my husband Gellund and I own this upstanding establishment! Will you be needing rooms and dinner? Are you staying in town long? What can I get for you, dears? The venison stew is particularly spicy tonight. How about some drinks to start? We have a lovely dark ale and even some elvish wines, if you're partial to that sort. Well, speak up, dearies!"
"Greetings Gentlewoman Irild, daughter of Hodzik. It is unfortunate that we are far too east to partake of the great dwarven vintages of the Ascendency, but these elven wines sound intriguing. I will happily have a glass of the red. Tell me gentlewoman, have any of my people come through this town in recent days? I speak of any dwarven clans, but I have particular interest in reconnecting with my enlightened compatriots from the mountains you know as the Rakers."
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

NukeHavoc wrote:"Greetings Gentlewoman Irild, daughter of Hodzik. It is unfortunate that we are far too east to partake of the great dwarven vintages of the Ascendency, but these elven wines sound intriguing. I will happily have a glass of the red. Tell me gentlewoman, have any of my people come through this town in recent days? I speak of any dwarven clans, but I have particular interest in reconnecting with my enlightened compatriots from the mountains you know as the Rakers."
"Ooh, we don't get many visitors or travelers here, Mistress; just the odd caravan guard or somesuch. Once in a while someone comes to explore the forest. They don't usually stay long, nor come back around in their travels, though. But we DO have a few dwarven families in town. Been here for years and years. Good folk. Veerrry dependable. I'm sure they wouldn't mind a visit from a fine lass such as yourself! If you've a mind, you could visit the Barameks or the Hammerhearts or the Drunakars. You can some of your kin at the blacksmiths on the west side of town, across the river, if you'd like. Or in the market. Or sweet old Ilorg Olvudar, the carpenter. He makes simply the BEST furniture in town!

Can't say I've heard of any specific dwarves from the Rakers, though. But I'm certainly no historian! Maybe your kin will know more, dearie."
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

EvilGenius wrote:"Ooh, we don't get many visitors or travelers here, Mistress; just the odd caravan guard or somesuch. Once in a while someone comes to explore the forest. They don't usually stay long, nor come back around in their travels, though. But we DO have a few dwarven families in town. Been here for years and years. Good folk. Veerrry dependable. I'm sure they wouldn't mind a visit from a fine lass such as yourself! If you've a mind, you could visit the Barameks or the Hammerhearts or the Drunakars. You can some of your kin at the blacksmiths on the west side of town, across the river, if you'd like. Or in the market. Or sweet old Ilorg Olvudar, the carpenter. He makes simply the BEST furniture in town!

Can't say I've heard of any specific dwarves from the Rakers, though. But I'm certainly no historian! Maybe your kin will know more, dearie."
"Those sound like good strong dwarven names. Do you know what trades they pursue?"
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

NukeHavoc wrote:"Those sound like good strong dwarven names. Do you know what trades they pursue?"
"Oh, yes. The Hammerhearts are mostly in the guard and constablery, though a Hammerheart is apprenticing to Virceran, the master smith. Ilorg is the town's master woodworker. Quite the artisan, he is! The Drunakars are mostly merchants, though I think their 2nd son works with Ilorg. And the Barameks are silversmiths and jewelers, though their eldest son and only daughter turned away from the family businesses to become adventurers! Oh, they were SCANDALIZED!! Now the business is going to go to their third child, another boy, mind you.

Oh, but look at me, neglecting our other customers! Well you just holler if you need anything else, dearie!"