In the Lair of the Ice Dragon

For characters who aren't active in a campaign, but who still have plans for world domination.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

hey, I've got this great treasure distribution system already thought out ... it's got these things called Swaggies ...
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Ugh. This is why I should never give you guys treasure. Next time Murlynd's Spoons and 10 copper pieces for everyone!
billcoke wrote:why don't we just find out the average amount (cost) for everyone's choice and give Damon/Moraim that much in gems?
We can try this. Nate already made an attempt at that -- I'll post the GP values for the magic items from the DMG 2 tonight and he can work them into the spreadsheet.

Just be warned that this could give rise to a situation where people could actually need to pay gold pieces from their personal reserves in order to buy a magic item (given that some, like the frostband, cost upwards of 50k). We'll have to see how the final math works out before we'll know for sure.

I will note, though, that when all the great treasure debates of yesteryear took place, the idea of "buying" magic items from the horde didn't go over too well. Then again, maybe everyone's too tired to argue now. :)
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
billcoke

Post by billcoke »

ok... i didn't consider that... I'm all for what Nate said then... I wasn't trying to make things more complicated...
Bill
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

billcoke wrote:ok... i didn't consider that... I'm all for what Nate said then... I wasn't trying to make things more complicated...
With a haul this big, it's got to be complicated. Like I said, next time, 10 coppers and a spoon that makes magical gruel for everyone. Problem solved. :)
Last edited by NukeHavoc on Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

I think if everyone agrees we just give moram a % of our gold cut. Say 10% or something. He'll get extra gold, we'll get extra stuff, and there's no real headache of trying to play the number game. We just have to figure a fair %, which I think should be a rough guesstimate.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Damon, your response is making things needlessly complex for everyone else. Moraim does have a land to provide for in Geoff, and potential followers to equip. You COULD take an item or two and keep on the side for possible followers in the Westmarks campaign.

There are still MORE than enough gems to satisfy even a dwarf.
Lars Porsenna wrote:Well, then you know, I have NO idea what I would want or find useful. So moraim will pass...

Damon.
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

Yeah, Moraim doesn't have to have a personal use for the items he picks, just so he picks something, and then if he wants to sell the item for gold/gems, its up to him.

Its not like in Living Greyhawk where once you touch the item, it turns into gold pieces... we actually have to arrange for items to be sold in various markets, etc. if we don't want the items themselves.
Lars Porsenna

Post by Lars Porsenna »

Actually, by saying I won't take anything makes it very, very simple. But fine:

1. Amulet of Natural Armor
2, Wand of Owl's Wisdom
3. Divine Scroll.

Damon.
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

Ok, I sent Ken an update (need to add Damon's picks that I now see).

The text in green means you either picked that item as the highest priority of anyone else... or you picked it uncontested.

Text in red means that the item you picked was already chosen by someone as a higher priority, or there was a tie so you need to dice for it.

As you will see, everyone who picked so far will probably get their first and second picks outright, and most will even get their third picks outright.

Damon, are you sure you want to go with those picks? You can always sell what you win from this process if you don't plan on using it.
Lars Porsenna

Post by Lars Porsenna »

That's all right. Moraim is already disgustingly wealthy, so a few thou more gold doesn't mean too much...

Damon.
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

Suit yourself :D

BTW... which Divine Scroll(s?) did you want? (Moraim can have them all as far as Ian is concerned)
Lars Porsenna

Post by Lars Porsenna »

I thought there was just one?

Damon.
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

Check again... there's like 3 on the Expendable Items tab
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

Rex can't use them. He's cool with Moram taking them.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Here's the updated spreadsheet with the missing treasure values:

www.griffcrier.com/downloads/SkelsTreasure.xls

Trueteller: 25400
Storm: 32305
Blue Ice Chain Mail: 46300
Casting Glove: 25000
Rogue's Vest: 29600
Cloak of Altitude Adaptation: 5000

A few other items of note:

1) The slate reveals that Trueteller has the following magical abilities:

* activate zone of truth 3/day
* use hold person on an enemy 3/day

You also suspect that it will magically resize itself to adjust to its wielder (which given that Fontain is interested in it, is probably besides the point).

2) Those who handle the blue ice chain mail report that it is exceedingly cold to the touch, so much so that anyone wearing it will probably be uncomfortable (and take minor penalties) unless they have some sort of innate or magical cold resistance. Arcane research by George the Scribe reveals that casting wearing blue ice armor has the same chance of spell failure as any other armor, with one exception: spells with the [cold] type do not have any penalty.