Kalib Conversion

For characters who aren't active in a campaign, but who still have plans for world domination.
EvilGenius

Re: Kalib Conversion

Post by EvilGenius »

I'm also using Forged Anvil. :) However, it doesn't output to statblocks, as far as I can see, so I just built my own.
Another daring escape for the intrepid Spaceman Spiff!
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Ok, so I've been working up different possibilities. :)

If I use the straight 82 point buy that Nate suggests from our 2e days I get the following starting stats:
Str 13
Dex 13
Con 10
Int 12
Wis 17
Chr 17

Applying the human stat bonus gives this for first level:
Str 14
Dex 14
Con 11
Int 13
Wis 18
Chr 18

If I use the 5e creation guidelines I get this:
Str 12
Dex 9
Con 9
Int 11
Wis 15
Chr 15

And when I apply racial modifiers I end up with starting stats of:
Str 13
Dex 10
Con 10
Int 12
Wis 16
Chr 16

Either way is a good build, I think. Unsurprisingly, I would prefer the 82 point buy because the stats are higher, but only for the conversion Blackrazor characters, because a) they aren't going to be played more than a handful of times, b) they're eventually going to fight Woryx, and c) they're the old Blackrazors, man!! Power and chaos incarnate!! :D
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

Assuming the 82 point buy, you took the Resilient feat that comes with a single stat bump besides granting proficiency bonus to that stats saving throws, so I'd recommend putting the odd score in whatever stat you picked for that feat so it goes up to the next level of ability bonus.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Depending on which method of stats we use, I'll be redoing feats/ability bumps. In the original conversion I took a bunch of feats because the stats were already where I wanted them. Using the 82 pt 2e build I'll take a few stat bumps and a few feats, using the straight 5e build I'll take almost all stat bumps and probably only 1 feat.

I'm probably also going to drop the fighter level.

So with the 82 pt build I'd take the following feats: Dual Wielding, War Caster and Alertness.

With the 5e build I think I'd only take Dual Wielding.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

2e 82 pt build:

Name: Kalib Ironfist
Race: Human
Background: Noble (Knight)
Class: Paladin/Cleric
Archtype: Oath of Vengence/Domain of War
Level: 4/16

Abilities: Mod Save
Str 14____ 2 _____ 2
Dex 14 ___ 2 _____ 2
Con 19____ 4 _____ 4
Int 14____ 2 _____ 2
Wis 20____ 5 _____ 11
Chr 20____ 5 _____ 11

Skills:
Proficiency Modifier +6
History +8
Insight +11
Persuasion +11
Religion +8

HP: 234
AC: 25
Armor:
Redoubt (1/2 Plate +2, Adamantine), Bastion (+2 Hv Adamantine Shield), Dex, Dual Wield bonus, Ring of Prot

Attacks: 2 (3 with Quickstrike)
Dual Wielding
Init: +3
Justice Seeker +10 (x2) 1d8+4 (+3 vs Murderers, plus see below)
and
Quickstrike +10, 1d4+2 (Dagger of Speed, make 1 attack per round as a bonus action)
or
Herald +9, 1d6+1 (Disruption, +2d6 radiant damage to fiends or undead)

Class Abilities:
Paladin:
* Divine Sense
* Lay on Hands (20hp)
* Spell Casting (3 @ 1st level)
* Divine Smite (expend pally spell to add d28 radiant damage)
* Fighting Style: Defense (+1 AC when wearing armor)
* Divine Health (immune to disease)
* Sacred Oath: Vengence
* Channel Divinity
- Abjure Enemy (choose 1 creature w/i 60', wis save or frightened for 1 min or until damaged. Speed reduced to 0. Successful save speed is halved for 1 min or until damaged)
- Vow of Enmity (vow against opponent w/i 10', gain advantage on attacks for 1 min)

Cleric:
* Divine Domain: War
* War Priest (when you use attack option, make 1 weapon attack as a bonus action. Use 5 times/long rest)
* Channel Divinity - 2
- Turn Undead
- Guided Strike (+10 to attack roll)
- War God's Blessing (reaction to grant ally within 30' +10 attack)
* Divine Strike (1 hit per turn add 2d8 radiant damage)
* Divine Intervention

Feats:
Dual Wielder (+1 AC while dual wielding. don't have to use light weaps)
War Caster (cast while holding stuff. Use spells for AoO)
Alert (+5 init)

Magical Items:
Justice Seeker, +2/+3 Bastard Sword
Gloves of Spell Storing
Bastion, +2 Adamantine 1/2 Plate, Command (??) Bonus to Chr?
Redoubt, +2 Heavy Adamantine Shield, Called, Animated, Resistance vs Necrotic
QuickStrike, +2 Dagger of Speed
Herald, +1 Mace of Disruption
Ring of Free Action
Ring of Protection
Amulet of Health
Scrolls: 2 6th, 2 5th, 2 4th, 3 3rd
Potions:

Spell Casting:
5 Cantrips Known
4/3/3/3/3/1/1/1/1
Spell DC: 19
Spell Attack Modifier:+11
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Magical items will be a problem under 5e. Many of Kalibs items would require attunement. Quick strike, Herald, Redoubt would require, and so would the amulet of health and both rings. the Gloves are Kens creation so he should get final say but I'd tend to think they would require.
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

EvilGenius wrote:Magical items will be a problem under 5e. Many of Kalibs items would require attunement. Quick strike, Herald, Redoubt would require, and so would the amulet of health and both rings. the Gloves are Kens creation so he should get final say but I'd tend to think they would require.
Yeah, I noticed the same thing working on Rex. His ice armor required a ring of endure elements to keep him from getting negatives. That's two attunements to wear one item... we may need to re-work some of our 3e items.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

I was thinking about JusticeSeeker and I think flavor-wise, it should NOT require attunement. A different weapon with the same properties might require but a holy weapon dedicated to the God of Freedom and Individuality probably wouldn't require attunement.
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

Or we could just ignore the limit on attuned items altogether
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

setanta14 wrote:Or we could just ignore the limit on attuned items altogether
Or rule that the magical items being converted from previous editions don't require attunement, but anything going forward does.
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

Well, reading into it more, the limit of 3 attuned items at a time is one of the main balancing factors (and time reducers) of 5E for figuring encounter CR vs. Party Level, so we should try and keep it as close to 3 as possible.
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

We have to consider this carefully. If we start upping the number of magical attunement items we're giving characters we're going to over-power them for the system and frankly start leading back into the 3.5 power creep days we're trying to avoid.

I think some stuff we can sort of wave off as flavor text. See my re-build of mistdream on Rex. IMHO i sacrificed very little of what the weapon was and still came up with a good representation. (That said some stuff will be more difficult than others to do this to).

And honestly I was looking at some of the odd-ball items Rex used to have. The cloak of altitude adjustment (or whatever it was called) was a cool item... but as a fighter I'll give it up for a second weapon... Unless of course we are in an adventure where I'll need it... then I can always re-attune.
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

EvilGenius wrote:I was thinking about JusticeSeeker and I think flavor-wise, it should NOT require attunement. A different weapon with the same properties might require but a holy weapon dedicated to the God of Freedom and Individuality probably wouldn't require attunement.
It's a +2 greatsword that does a little something extra to murderers? I think we can swing it so it doesn't require attunement.
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

Yeah, but it's also an intelligent weapon with additional powers infused with the personality of Kalib's old mentor.
Hardcorhobbs wrote:
EvilGenius wrote:I was thinking about JusticeSeeker and I think flavor-wise, it should NOT require attunement. A different weapon with the same properties might require but a holy weapon dedicated to the God of Freedom and Individuality probably wouldn't require attunement.
It's a +2 greatsword that does a little something extra to murderers? I think we can swing it so it doesn't require attunement.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

setanta14 wrote:Yeah, but it's also an intelligent weapon with additional powers infused with the personality of Kalib's old mentor.
Hardcorhobbs wrote:
Heh, yeah. It also communicates telepathically, casts cure light wounds, locate object and commune (to be used when solving a murder).