Misc Plot Unravelings

The 5th Editon playtest campaign.
erilar

Misc Plot Unravelings

Post by erilar »

The portal, and our missing childhood memories

There was a tiefling living in the elven burial chamber at the Standing Stones. It (he? she?) was pulled through the rift before it collapsed, and it seemed that the rift took something from it's dying body when that happened.

Per the journal we found there, this tiefling was lured and seduced by the power of the creature Hravja. I think this may be the same creature that attacked you

The final journal entry:
"My fear at giving up a part of my soul to the portal was completely without merit. Who cares if I can’t remember some details of my childhood? What are memories compared to tangible Power? The part of my soul that I gave up wasn’t even very large, certainly not like that required to open a portal in the first place!"
I think the rift took back the part of the tiefling's soul that it had sacrificed to open the rift? This may have caused the rift to collapse.

Anyway, this info, paired with the recent notes that past-Jareth had written, lead me to believe the following: the PCs (the Master's Lieutenants) all sacrificed part of their souls to open the portal to the fire lands in order to rescue this Gweyndolyn from the clutches of the Fire Lord (an Efreeti lord). That mission failed. This missing part of our soul accounts for some of our memory loss. I am also thinking that our sacrifice may be involved in our recent mysterious transportation to the Plane of Water. Maybe the portal re-opened?

Our previous selves also seemed to grow colder and more ruthless as we matured - this emotional regression may be due to losing part of our souls.
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
erilar

Re: Misc Plot Unravelings

Post by erilar »

Another mystery to chew on - who is Quirinseyru? Could this be the name of "The Master", our previous mentor/leader? Could he be a dragon in human form (silver hair)?
In several memories and journal entries you have recovered, there is mention of a familiar but mysterious name: Quirin, or Quirinseyru. From the little you know of him he's an older human, vigorous and in good health, with bright silvery hair.
From Mordai's journal:
Godsday, 11th, Reaping, CY 640
Today is the day everyone else is coming to see Lucky Break! Quirin should be transporting them sometime around lunch. Hmm, I wonder if he’s going to fly them in or ‘port them in? Well, I’ll put out the big banner on the roof, just in case.
Then, a later entry:
A big chunk of pages are torn/burned out of the rest of the journal.

Fireseek, CY 646
Haven’t heard from Erk sinc (burned portion)
Going to meet everyo (burned portion)
From there we’ll proc (burned portion)
Rudd, If you’ve ever favored m (burned portion)

Reaping, CY 646
Dammed fools! (literally!) I don’t see why we have to leave that stupid little nothing of a town alone!! I could claim all of their souls in a damned afternoon all by myself!! He better watch his damn back ….

Final Entry
Harvester, CY 646
HA!! I CAN’T EVEN BELIEVE IT!!!! That stupid magical trap turned him HUMAN FOR HELL’S SAKE!! HAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!
Erk and Amadi laughed as hard as I did! There’s no way they’re turning him back. Serves him right, pompus jerk!!
Oh hells, I have to remember to ask if either of them can turn him into anything else fun!!!
Whelp, off to hunt that damnable Quirinseyru!! I can’t wait to see the look on his face when he sees us again! Maybe I’ll keep a souvenir ….
I think the burned section corresponds to our failed rescue mission into the Fire Lands to rescue Gweyndolyn. After which, Mordai seems to have become evil, and is perhaps now hunting our former Master?

If this Quirinseyru is still alive, he should have some answers for us.
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

erilar wrote:I think the rift took back the part of the tiefling's soul that it had sacrificed to open the rift? This may have caused the rift to collapse.

Anyway, this info, paired with the recent notes that past-Jareth had written, lead me to believe the following: the PCs (the Master's Lieutenants) all sacrificed part of their souls to open the portal to the fire lands in order to rescue this Gweyndolyn from the clutches of the Fire Lord (an Efreeti lord). That mission failed. This missing part of our soul accounts for some of our memory loss. I am also thinking that our sacrifice may be involved in our recent mysterious transportation to the Plane of Water. Maybe the portal re-opened?

Our previous selves also seemed to grow colder and more ruthless as we matured - this emotional regression may be due to losing part of our souls.
As Jareth muses on these issues, some feel very right and some feel almost right.

From the Tiefling's Journal, it seems that maybe he wasn't involved in opening the rift, but underwent some sacrificial ritual to gain control over it, or maybe keep it open. Killing him DEFINITELY caused the portal to implode though (and pulled his body into the collapsing rift).

Also, there was one of the undead at the Weeping Groves who exhibited similar-but different properties, ie, when you destroyed it, the portal sucked it back in and collapsed. (Originally I had planned on that being a ghost but I think I accidentally described it as a second banshee when we played it out).

Other party members have had a strange internal sense of where something was located.

Other party members, who have been exposed to the energy released by a closing portal, have found themselves mysteriously transported to another plane, to a place that was previously dear to them (Brigga and Quarion went to the Elemental Plane of Earth and found Brigga's old stronghold).

The missing part of your souls certainly seems to have had an effect on your characters turning 'evil' and in your memory loss. There may be more to this part, though ...
Another daring escape for the intrepid Spaceman Spiff!
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

erilar wrote:Another mystery to chew on - who is Quirinseyru? Could this be the name of "The Master", our previous mentor/leader? Could he be a dragon in human form (silver hair)?
In several memories and journal entries you have recovered, there is mention of a familiar but mysterious name: Quirin, or Quirinseyru. From the little you know of him he's an older human, vigorous and in good health, with bright silvery hair.

I think the burned section corresponds to our failed rescue mission into the Fire Lands to rescue Gweyndolyn. After which, Mordai seems to have become evil, and is perhaps now hunting our former Master?

If this Quirinseyru is still alive, he should have some answers for us.
Mordai's burned journal corresponding to your failed rescue mission to the Fire Lands would make an awful lot of sense, especially since opening the portal seems to have required everyone to sacrifice part of your souls and after that event, Modai (and all of you) seem to be more of the evil persuasion ....

Quirinseyru remains a mystery. Perhaps there is more information out there.... somewhere ..... :P
Another daring escape for the intrepid Spaceman Spiff!