The 5th Editon playtest campaign.
EvilGenius

Current Unclaimed Treasure

Post by EvilGenius »

Bead of Force (x1)

Brigga (1) - Elemental Gem, Earth (x2)

Ioun Stone: Protection (Dusty Rose Prism) - Grants +1 to AC

Bannock - Pelor's Orb
There is a beautiful Orb before you, 6” in diameter. The orb seems to be made of some kind of clear amber colored stone, ground to an impossibly perfect globe. Inside there are gently swirling clouds of gold, orange and red, illuminated as if by a tiny sun.

As you observe the Orb, the clouds begin to swirl faster and faster, then dissipate altogether leaving a puzzling and wondrous sight! There in the globe is a miniature reproduction of your campsite, complete with you and your companions! You peer in rapt fascination as the little figures in the orb move in a blocky imitation of your companions’ movement, and you hear your companions conversations echoed in your mind, obviously being transmitted to you telepathically by the Orb. As you look more closely, you notice that some of your companions have a slight golden glow and some have a slight greyish glow, and their magical items sparkle mystically.

Sudden inspiration strikes and you shake the wondrous Orb, causing the whirling golden clouds to temporarily obscure the scene, then clear again, as the campsite around you becomes as bright as if it were noon on a cloudless day. You also believe that you could similarly invoke divine blessings upon the small figures depicted in the Orb, but you will save that for later.
The Orb allows the bearer to use an action to focus his or her will to create an invisible scrying sensor, similar to the invisible sensor of the Scry spell. This sensor must be created in a location that the bearer can directly observe, and the sensor appears at a height of 40’, or at the highest location possible at the chosen location. Once the sensor is created, a miniature reproduction of the location appears in the Orb, as though the bearer was looking down at the target location from the sensor.

The Orb is able to observe a target location for one hour, during which time the bearer also gains the ability to Detect Evil and Good and Detect Magic on creatures and objects depicted within.

While the Orb is observing a location, it can be shaken vigorously to invoke either Daylight or Bless on that location (bearer’s choice). The Daylight effect is at the minimum spell level. The Bless effect is 5th level, affecting 6 creatures. Only one effect can be invoked per use of the Orb and the bearer must still be in spell range to cast the spell on the observed location, though no direct line of effect is necessary.

The Orb will faithfully reproduce any and all activity that can be seen normally within the observed location. Invisible creatures will not be detected by the Orb, and the view is subject to the regular rules of illumination. If the location is dark, the bearer cannot see anything unless he or she can normally see in the dark. The bearer can make a Perception check to see hidden creatures, but has to choose to make the attempt.

The location seen in the Orb is stationary, i.e., it will not follow a particular creature, nor can the bearer will the scene to move. No concentration is necessary to maintain the magical observation, and the bearer can move and act normally without disrupting the observation.

The bearer can refocus his or her will on a new location (or the same location) again after a long rest, provided that the bearer can again directly observe the desired location.

Unseelie Bracers
(Bracers of Archery)
You see a strange set of bracers seemingly made out of a flexible bark with thin vines for straps. Carved into the bark is a full moon, filled with the same type of liquid silver material you see in the bottom of the chest. As you reach for the bracers, your hand seems to slow down for a second, then you see your hand pick up the bracers in a blur of motion.

The wearer seems very slightly out of step, time wise. This has no game mechanic effect other than taking longer to complete a long rest, but for the wearer, time does seem to subjectively be distorted.

When using a bow, snippets of a haunting elven tune can be heard, as though from a great distance.
While wearing these bracers, you have proficiency with the longbow and shortbow, and you gain a +2 bonus to damage rolls on ranged attacks made with such weapons.

Secret: At twilight on a day with a full moon, there is a 10% chance that the wearer is pulled into the Feywild. Any fey encountered will recognize the creature wearing the bracers as a potential ally, and will behave as such. When (if) the bearer makes his/her way back to the Prime, the Bracers negate any time distortion that would otherwise take place.

Wand of Detect Magic
You see a slender, tapered wand of black ash with a handle of wrapped platinum wire. There are mystical glyphs and sigals engraved all over the surface of the wand.
This wand has 3 charges. While holding it, you can spend 1 charge as an action to cast the Detect Magic spell from it. The wand regains 1d3 expended charges daily at dawn.

Kage - Ufar's Bracelets
(Bracers of Defense)
A set of simple but beautifully made bronze bracers. They are mostly unadorned but each bracer has a large, sparkling diamond in the middle of the forearm. When you pick them up, you find that they are vibrating slightly, and you feel a slight breeze where there wasn’t one before.
While wearing these bracers, you gain a +2 bonus to AC if you are wearing no armor and using no shield.

Once per round, the wearer can use a bonus action to invoke the Gust cantrip (from EE Supplement).

In addition, the wearer can use an action to cast one of the following spells: Levitate, Create Food & Water (the water can also be wine, at the wearer’s choice). Once cast, Levitate and Create Food & Water cannot be cast again from the bracers until after completing a long rest.

Jareth - Pearl of Power
A large pearl, softly shining with a warm, reddish light. The pearl is pleasantly warm to the touch and seems to roll lopsidedly in your hand even though it appears perfectly round. The warmth quickly builds as you hold the pearl and after a moment there is a quick flash of reddish light and a soft but audible fwoosh sound. You feel … powerful, in a way that’s difficult to describe.
You can use an action to speak this pearl's command word and regain one expended spell slot of up to 3rd level. Once you have used the pearl, it can't be used again until the next dawn. If the spell slot expended is higher than 3rd level, the slot regained is still only 3rd level.

Dust of Disappearance
You see a strangely shaped crystal that fits into the palm of your hand. The crystal is a pale rose color and sparkles all over, though as you look more closely, it appears that the sparkle is from something inside of the crystal. Turning it over, you see that the beautiful crystal is actually a stylized carving of a pixie holding a small stoppered jug. It looks like you could remove the stopper from the jug.
Brigga - Figurine of Wondrous Power (Serpentine Owl)
You shake out a small leather pouch and a gleaming, green carving falls into your hand. Examining it closer you see that it is a carving of an great horned owl, but curiously, the owl has a mystical symbol that resembles a third eye, carved into its forehead. As you are handling the strange figurine, the intricately carved wings seem to momentarily flutter and a hint of green light momentarily shines from the third, mystical eye.
This serpentine statuette of an owl can become a giant owl for up to 8 hours. Once it has been used, it can't be used again until 2 days have passed. The owl can telepathically communicate with you at any range if you and it are on the same plane of existence.

Sentinal - This item's third eye opens and looks about when dwarves are within 120 feet of it. If the owl is activated, it can telepathically communicate the location of any dwarves it senses.

Dawn Pipes
There is an odd bundle of brilliant copper pipes protruding from a softly glowing, golden-white sack of some sort. You pick up the strange sack by a pure white leather strap secured with a golden buckle, and the glow bursts into a brilliant golden light, like the glorious dawn bursting through a cloudy morn. The bright golden light lifts your spirits and you feel a confidence that is literally echoed by the crisp sound of a drum ruffle, though there is no drum present.

You know that these used to belong to Naziah in your former lives.
Onarra - Deck of Illusions
You see a small beautifully shaped box with rounded corners. It looks the size and shape to contain playing cards. The bone white, lustrous wood gives off a soft pearly glow and it seems the box top flips open on delicate, beautifully ornate silver hinges. On the front and back are faded paintings, cracked with age. You see a green forest on one side and a wonderfully detailed bronze dragon with gossamer wings on the other.
As you handle the strange box, wisps of ethereal mist rise from the wood and you see that the painting of the forest seems to gain depth and solidity. The colors become richer, sharper, and the foliage begins to rustle in an unfelt wind. Amazingly, it seems like you are looking at an actual forest now!! Entranced with the lifelike painting, you see the forest begin to change, as though with the seasons, but you are distracted by a buzzing against your hand. You look at the other side of the box and the small dragon animates and looks at you, wings fluttering like a hummingbird, causing the buzzing against your hand as the miniature dragon flits about in his picture.
Mysterious Chest??
You have found several chests on your adventures that all look the same as this chest. It is a largish chest, made out of lustrous harwood with a reddish finish. The chest is bound with brass studs and there is a brass sunburst symbol just below the keyplate.
Last edited by EvilGenius on Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Another daring escape for the intrepid Spaceman Spiff!
Jonkga

Re: Current Unclaimed Treasure

Post by Jonkga »

So, it looks like from this list we have 14 items listed (one is that mysterious chest).

And, correct me if I am wrong, but we have 7 active characters right now.

So, that should mean everyone gets two picks off of the list, right?

We should probably do a quick round of first picks, see where we are, and then do a round of second picks.

We may also want our rogue to investigate this mysterious chest if we have not already - does it hold anything (I don't recall)?
"Here are your waters and your watering place.
Drink and be whole again beyond confusion."
-- "Directive" by Robert Frost
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

Do we know what Ufar's Bracelets do?

And, do we have a Bard able to use the Dawn Pipes?
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Edited to add some item descriptions.

I'll be posting some information about Aegenthal this week. It's not a treasure pick, though. :)
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

EvilGenius wrote:Edited to add some item descriptions.

I'll be posting some information about Aegenthal this week. It's not a treasure pick, though. :)
What's an Aegenthal?
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Jonkga wrote:
EvilGenius wrote:Edited to add some item descriptions.

What's an Aegenthal?
'What's a Nubian?' :P

Aegenthal is Jareths former super special moonblade.
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

I'll get us started, then.

Bannock is interested in Pelor's Orb as his first pick.
erilar

Post by erilar »

Jareth's first pick: the Pearl of Power (this assuming my former blade and I are still not on speaking terms)

Jareth's pick th 2nd: wand of detect magick
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

Kage's first pick would be Ufar's Bracelets.

(I forgot to check his magic items last night... but I don't think he has any AC boosting items.)
Fen's Ego

Post by Fen's Ego »

I'm not Rogue-ing very well today:
Onarra rolls 10 on Investigate for traps, 16 for Thieves Tools (DEX) pick lock.
"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun."
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Fen's Ego wrote:I'm not Rogue-ing very well today:
The chest is open already. It's the chest that you found at the Weeping Boughs, Onarra and Miette's former home. You've recovered the treasure within already (Ufar's Bracers, Flametongue, Pearl of Power, Shesad's Lantern, etc). viewtopic.php?f=42&t=4988

You know from your previous investigation that the chest does detect as strongly magical (Abjuration and Conjuration). However, the chest doesn't actually do anything magical, as far as you have been able to determine.
Fen's Ego

Post by Fen's Ego »

In that case, Onarra is tickled by the Deck of Illusions, recalling her former identity crisis.
"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun."
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

EvilGenius wrote:
Fen's Ego wrote:I'm not Rogue-ing very well today:
The chest is open already. It's the chest that you found at the Weeping Boughs, Onarra and Miette's former home. You've recovered the treasure within already (Ufar's Bracers, Flametongue, Pearl of Power, Shesad's Lantern, etc). viewtopic.php?f=42&t=4988

You know from your previous investigation that the chest does detect as strongly magical (Abjuration and Conjuration). However, the chest doesn't actually do anything magical, as far as you have been able to determine.
Ok, so maybe the chest as party treasure until we get a better understanding of what it does?

And, maybe try to sell the bag pipes in Farweald if no one in the party can use them?
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

First picks so far:

Bannock - Pelor's Orb
Jareth - Pearl of Power
Kage - Ufar's Bracelets
Onara - Deck of Illusions
Brigga - Serpentine Owl

Still to make their first picks:
Mordai -
Quarion -
Balisar -

Am I missing anyone?
Last edited by Jonkga on Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Brigga:

1st Pick: Figurine of Wondrous Power (Serpentine Owl)
2nd Pick: Elemental Gem, Earth
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange