Episode 10: Run to the Hills ...

The 5th Editon playtest campaign.
EvilGenius

Episode 10: Run to the Hills ...

Post by EvilGenius »

I'll do a full write up this week but here's the summary.

The PCs bought horses in Farweald. It was very painful because no one wanted to talk. The stable owner, an elf named Ciande', is going to learn sign language in case he has to deal with the PCs again. Also: Onarra knows horses. Like, SUPER knows them (28 on a Handle Animal check).

The PCs headed north, following the road. About a day and a half north, halfway out of the forest, the PCs encountered a strange area of slightly shimmering mists and heard sounds of combat coming from inside of the mists. After securing their horses, the PCs entered the mists and found their visibility was reduced to about 20' and the mists provided light obscurement.

The PCs found two wagons stopped by a downed tree, and a man from Farweald. Then, ogres came charging out of the mists and attacked the party, the man and one of the horses hitched to a wagon. Then bugbears tried to sneak up and engage the PCs, too. The PCs fought back, killing several ogres and bugbears, and finding a few more people from town; Lonz, who originally brought the PCs to Farweald, Balfhe, the missing girl's boyfriend, and Markel, Balfhe's best friend/co-conspirator.

The PCs were doing well in combat and then heard a familiar voice in their heads, the Oracle was there! The Oracle told the PCs that they may have prevented him from obtaining 'his Prize' but that he would get it eventually. Then the remaining humanoids retreated into the mists.

Seeing the threat had ended, Balfhe corked a strange bottle he was holding and the mists began to dissipate. Balfhe was not pleased to see the PCs, accusig them of being behind his girlfriend's kidnapping (which is a rumor that's been spreading around Farweald). The three Farwealders went to move the tree out of the road and Onarra took the opportunity to sneak a peak in the back of one of the wagons, where she found one of the chests that you've recovered from sites associated with the Master!

Unfortuantely, Lonz saw Onarra sneaking a peak, and the PCs failed at bluffing their way out of it, soooo a second combat started. And as an added surprise, the red dragonborn who used to live in Farweald, Balrakas, quickly joined the fray!

After landing several good hits on Quarion, a successful Hold Person spell incapacitated most of the bad guys. The PCs subdued Balrakas, Lonz and Markle. Balfhe surrendered but wasn't subdued, as the PCs intended to finally make some headway into Leigha's disappearance.
Last edited by EvilGenius on Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Another daring escape for the intrepid Spaceman Spiff!
EvilGenius

Re: Episode X: Run to the Hills ...

Post by EvilGenius »

And boy howdy, the PCs made some headway!

The PCs refuted Balfhe's contention that they were behind his girlfriend's kidnapping. Specifically, they showed him the journal they recovered from Balrakas, where he mentions helping Lonz get the girl out of town.

Balfhe confronted Lonz and Balrakas, and the dragonborn was clearly tired of his youthful passions, so he told Lonz to tell Balfhe the truth about Leigha. Turns out, Leigha wasn't BALFHE'S girl so much as she was ANYONE'S girl, or at least anyone with a few gold. And Lonz further explained that he was a long time, high frequency customer; so much so that he got a substantial discount.

At that, Balfhe physically attacked Lonz, who was tied up. The PCs let Balfhe get a few good shots in, then pulled him off of the prisoner. Then Lonz delivered the final gut punch to the distraught youth; he said that Leigha wasn't kidnapped! Turns out, she got a better offer and leapt at the chance to leave the isolated town behind.

With those revelations having understandably leveled Balfhe, the PCs turned toward other matters. Using some divinatory magic, the PCs started questioning Lonz and Balrakas about who they work for in town and the identity of the Master. And where they got the magical chest in the wagon, and where they were going with it.

When Lonz and Balrakas decided not to cooperate, the PCs were surprised again to hear the Oracle speaking to them all, telepathically. The Oracle offered to get the secrets they PCs wanted from their prisoners in exchange for magical items. The first item that the Oracle demanded was the suspect chest in Lonz's wagon. Then each piece of information the PCs wanted would cost another magical item (subject to negotiation, of course).

And that's where we left it for continued online play. The PCs have 3 bound captives (Lonz, Balrakas and Markel) and one subdued but free captive who is cooperating with them.

The Oracle has made an offer, telepathically. You have not seen the Oracle and don't currently know his whereabouts, but it seems he's obviously close by.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

The PCs had stated right at the end of the session that they were relieving their captives of gear and magical items. Here is what you get:

Lonz
Short sword
This short sword has an orcish look to it, with a slightly curved blade and an elongated point, excellent for stabbing. The blade is serrated, for creating jagged wounds when pulled out of a target.
When you pick up this weapon, you begin to feel slightly jittery, constantly assessing the situation around you to determine if it is going to turn violent.

Brooch
This is a gold brooch shaped like a human hand, outstretched in a Stop motion.

Stone
This is a smooth, thin stone, about the size of the palm of your hand. There are several unfamiliar runes carved into the stone and filed in with gold.

Potions
Some level of healing potion
A thick brownish liquid with what seems to be a small rock suspended in it.

Markel
Stone
This is a smooth, thin stone, about the size of the palm of your hand. There are several unfamiliar runes carved into the stone and filed in with gold.

Potions
A thick brownish liquid with what seems to be a small rock suspended in it.
A clear, viscous liquid that seems to harden if the bottle is swirled around.

Balrakas
Gemstone
This large pearl has a golden hue and feels warm to the touch. While holding it in your hand you feel strangely powerful, and for a moment, you actually feel the pearl in both of your hands, though the feeling quickly fades.

Brooch
This brooch is a single, vibrant blue crystal that resembles a cloud, with an irregular gold setting.

Hmm, now that you look, you KNOW Balrakas had a formidable looking greatsword, possibly made out of bone? But it's nowhere to be found now. Curious!

You also get the following mundane gear:
Chain Mail
Chain Shirt
Daggers (x4)
Handaxe
Battleaxe

2 sets of dice
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

After you divest your captives from their gear and securely re-tie them, you once again hear the Oracle in your head.

"Hmm, yes, yes! Deals we can make! Here are my offers."

First: You agree that we have a truce and you will not take any aggressive action against me or my retainers until at least a full day after our current business is concluded. I agree not to take any aggressive actions against you for the same period.
Second: Regardless of any other information provided, I take the chest that Lonz was transporting.

I am confident that I can provide the following information:

1) I can tell you about Lonz and Balrakas' capabilities (essentially, I will give you their character sheets)
Cost: Bannock's Short Sword of Warning and Balfhe's Strange Bottle
2) I can tell you what Lonz and Balrakas know about any other agents in Farweald
Cost: Brigga's Eye of Madness
3) I can tell you what Lonz and Balrakas know about this chest (where they got it, what it's used for, where they're taking it)
Cost: Quarion's Corellon's Shroud

4) I can tell you what all of Lonz and Balrakas' magical items are and can do
Cost: Balrakas' Brooch & Brigga's +1 Handaxe
5) I can tell you some undiscovered properites of your own magical items
Cost: Jareth's Fey Lantern, Quarion's +1 Shield and Brigga's Wand of Misty Step

And, as before, The Oracle can tell you who the Master is.
Cost: One of the clone PCs must surrender themselves to the Oracle, as his prisoner, to do with as he pleases (this character will be removed from play)
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Also, if there are other questions that you think of, the Oracle will negotiate prices with you. :)
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Oh yeah! The Oracle can also tell you about your past selves, including:
1) class(es)
2) signature magical items
3) how/where you died

The costs will be negotiated individually. :twisted:
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Ok, no takers so far. You could also continue to try and interrogate Lonz and Balrakas yourselves and tell the Oracle to GtFO.

Regardless, someone should probably, you know, say something. To someone.
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

Bannock will step slightly away from the prisoners, and say aloud but obviously to the Oracle:

"Oracle. We will certainly agree to not harming you for now, and for a full day from now. However, you presume too much by laying claim to the chest immediately. If these are to be negotiations, then let us begin with that item, as you seem so keen to acquire it. It is currently in our possession, as is another like it. We will gladly part with this one, if first you tell us true the nature of that chest - it radiates powerful magic but does not seem to do anything that we have yet been able to divine. Just what sort of item or set of items are they? So, negotiation the first: detail us the properties of this chest and it will be yours.

As for the rest of the knowledge we seek and the items we can provide - all depends upon how you respond."

Bannock will maintain his Primeval Awareness, trying to sense the Oracle's presence. He will also visually scan to try to locate him. Perception check: d20 roll 5 +11 skill = 16.
"Here are your waters and your watering place.
Drink and be whole again beyond confusion."
-- "Directive" by Robert Frost
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Jonkga wrote:Bannock will step slightly away from the prisoners, and say aloud but obviously to the Oracle:

"Oracle. We will certainly agree to not harming you for now, and for a full day from now. However, you presume too much by laying claim to the chest immediately. If these are to be negotiations, then let us begin with that item, as you seem so keen to acquire it. It is currently in our possession, as is another like it. We will gladly part with this one, if first you tell us true the nature of that chest - it radiates powerful magic but does not seem to do anything that we have yet been able to divine. Just what sort of item or set of items are they? So, negotiation the first: detail us the properties of this chest and it will be yours.

As for the rest of the knowledge we seek and the items we can provide - all depends upon how you respond."

Bannock will maintain his Primeval Awareness, trying to sense the Oracle's presence. He will also visually scan to try to locate him. Perception check: d20 roll 5 +11 skill = 16.

You hear a raspy laugh in your minds, reminiscent of dead leaves rustling in the wind. "Cautious and untrusting you are in this life, Bannock. Perhaps lessons you learned from your past life.

I did not know you had another one of the chests. Interesting, that is. From where did you obtain it, I wonder? Would like to know, I would.

As for their properties, at the most basic, you can magically secure the chest with an Arcane Lock spell. Perhaps with a Glyph spell. But the true mystery is this: where are the contents really stored? Sometimes items are there, sometimes transported somewhere else. Sometimes different items appear. Is it random? Is it controlled? Where do items go? Where do they come from? These are questions with no answers. Yet. But I will take this one and study it. Unlock it's secrets I will.

Satisfied?"
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

Kage will defer to the rest of the party. He still doesn't completely understand whats going on, or why this voice is asking for so much in return for some information. All he knows is that the party seems like good people, they got him out of that waterworld, and they keep finding him adventure. So he's happy to keep following them.
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

Bannock responds:

"Oracle. That is indeed intriguing. It seems these chests may be vessels to transport items from one place to another.

You have certainly earned your prize. Perhaps your study will benefit us all. I wonder how many chests there are. We have one, and have seen others.

I would trade that knowledge of where we found the one we have, plus the knowledge of where we saw others, fornyour knowledge of where these ruffians were bringing this one, for whom, and to what end. Deal?" (item 3 listed above)

Additionally, Bannock will have Cur scent about for the Oracle, not chasing him down, but trying to get a direction at least: perception d20 roll 18 +7 skill = 25.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Jonkga wrote:Bannock responds:

"Oracle. That is indeed intriguing. It seems these chests may be vessels to transport items from one place to another.

You have certainly earned your prize. Perhaps your study will benefit us all. I wonder how many chests there are. We have one, and have seen others.

I would trade that knowledge of where we found the one we have, plus the knowledge of where we saw others, fornyour knowledge of where these ruffians were bringing this one, for whom, and to what end. Deal?" (item 3 listed above)

Additionally, Bannock will have Cur scent about for the Oracle, not chasing him down, but trying to get a direction at least: perception d20 roll 18 +7 skill = 25.
The voice in your head sounds smug. "Hmmmm, no deal, Simulacrum. When I probe those two I'll likely find out where the others are anyway. The details on where they got it, where they're taking it and to whom for the Elven Burial Shroud."

Bannock, Cur does get a scent to the northeast of where the wagons are on the map.
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

Bannock replies:

"Oracle. I understood this to be a negotiation. Expect some offer-counteroffer.

And, as I cannot speak for the Shroud, I'll offer instead this Cloak of Elvenkind for that information instead. Perhaps it will help you determine the extent of that chest's power. Deal?"
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

"Hmmmm. Cloak, eh? Mmmm, cloak of secrets, I think. Yes, yes, agreed. I will need to come closer. Honor your bargain, I expect you will. Ready I am for betrayals, you should know."
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

Bannock will set the chest on the ground, a few steps away from the party and the prisoners, and doff his cloak, laying it atop the chest. He will then step back, calling Cur to his side.

"For you, Oracle."

He motions for the party to sheathe weapons, or obviously train them on the prisoners and not the chest.