Episode 10.75 Run Back to Town, part deux...

The 5th Editon playtest campaign.
EvilGenius

Episode 10.75 Run Back to Town, part deux...

Post by EvilGenius »

The party is currently in Farweald, presumably preparing to resume their expedition to the Bluff Hills in search of the mysterious Quirinseyru ,who is also apparently of great interest to Akriah and at least some other tieflings. It's morning, a day and a half after you brought back Lonz and Balrakas. You haven't seen Balfhe or Markle since you got back to town. Presumably they're home, rethinking their lives. :)

You are awakened by a clanging bell somewhere outside of Pef's, and the sound of shouting. Wondering what the commotion is about you all hasten to equip yourselves, unsure of what you may find waiting for you in the supposedly sleepy lumber town.

A few minutes later you hustle out of Pef's onto to street in front of the Lodge, leading to the Eastern Gate (to your left) and the Middle Market (to your right). There are some townsfolk peering out from their homes, or hurrying toward the center of town. You don't see any apparent threat until you catch sight of grey smoke rising above the rooftops and trees across the street. It looks like the smoke is coming from someplace on the south side of town.

"Hey! Hey you guys! Over here!" You look toward the gate and see Deputy Archibald waving to you to get your attention. "Hey, that's the FireBell, and there's smoke down there from Low Town! Go get the Constable, somethings going on!"
Last edited by EvilGenius on Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Another daring escape for the intrepid Spaceman Spiff!
Jonkga

Re: Episode X.75 Run Back to Town, part deux...

Post by Jonkga »

If Bannock remembers the map of the town correctly, the Constable's office/jail building is roughly between us and the area where the smoke is coming from. As the Deputy mentioned it was coming from Low Town, and that is where our tiefling allies live, Bannock will make haste towards the Constable's, try to get the Sherrif and/or any of the other deputies who may be there, and then hurry on to Low Town to try to be of assistance.

Remembering Lonz's wagon may still be at the Constable's, Bannock may try to appropriate that to help carry buckets and/or barrels for a water brigade, if that doesn't seem like it would lose him too much time getting to Low Town.
"Here are your waters and your watering place.
Drink and be whole again beyond confusion."
-- "Directive" by Robert Frost
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Jonkga wrote:If Bannock remembers the map of the town correctly, the Constable's office/jail building is roughly between us and the area where the smoke is coming from. As the Deputy mentioned it was coming from Low Town, and that is where our tiefling allies live, Bannock will make haste towards the Constable's, try to get the Sherrif and/or any of the other deputies who may be there, and then hurry on to Low Town to try to be of assistance.

Remembering Lonz's wagon may still be at the Constable's, Bannock may try to appropriate that to help carry buckets and/or barrels for a water brigade, if that doesn't seem like it would lose him too much time getting to Low Town.
I've switched the Roll20 Map back to Farweald for assistance.

I should have clarified in the initial post. The Constables office is north of Pef's. It's close by though, you could easily run there and then proceed to Low Town.
And Low Town is in the south center of Farweald, next to where the Tieflings live.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Here's the Map.

You guys are at 3oclock. The Constable's office is to the NW of you. The smoke is to the SW of you.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Jonkga wrote:If Bannock remembers the map of the town correctly, the Constable's office/jail building is roughly between us and the area where the smoke is coming from. As the Deputy mentioned it was coming from Low Town, and that is where our tiefling allies live, Bannock will make haste towards the Constable's, try to get the Sherrif and/or any of the other deputies who may be there, and then hurry on to Low Town to try to be of assistance.

Brigga runs after Bannock and shouts "the decanter. the one with all the water? the one with all the endless water? -- I have that. Seems like just the thing for this situation. Still want to go to the constable, or should we run to Low Town?"
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

On the way there, Brigga will attempt to will her beaker of plentiful potions to produce a potion of fire resistance
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

NukeHavoc wrote:On the way there, Brigga will attempt to will her beaker of plentiful potions to produce a potion of fire resistance
You can easily will a potion of fire resistance from the Beaker.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Since Deputy Archibald requested that the PCs go get the Constable, who is only a hundred yards or so away from where you are, you can all hurry over there. Brigga's suggestions are good ones.

You can see that Harkin is already opening the gate of the jail building and the Lonz's wagon is being pushed from the building by Dunaric, demonstrating dwarven determination and sheer power. Harkin sees all of you hurrying to him and indicates that you should join him.
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

As we are getting the wagon underway, and making sure Brigga has the decanter ready, I'll ask Harkin if he knows what's burning.
"Here are your waters and your watering place.
Drink and be whole again beyond confusion."
-- "Directive" by Robert Frost
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

EvilGenius wrote:You can easily will a potion of fire resistance from the Beaker.
Ok, is it just floating on top, or does Brigga have to consume it immediately? It'd be nice to have in reserve in case one of us needs to dive into the fire.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Jonkga wrote:As we are getting the wagon underway, and making sure Brigga has the decanter ready, I'll ask Harkin if he knows what's burning.
The adventurers at the jail building and Harkin and the deputies are loading buckets onto the wagon, while Dunaric keeps it moving. Brigga chuggs up a few seconds later. "We don't need the wagon, or buckets. I have THIS" as she holds up the decanter. The Constable and deputies don't immediately stop (they don't know what the Decanter is).

Brigga continues, "I know you all hate magic but I can use magic to summon water from this. A LOT of water, enough to put out 10 fires!!" That causes Harkin to pause. "All right then. Deputies! Keep getting water and bring the wagon! We're going to see what's going on!"

Bannock repeats to Harkin, "do we know what's on fire? Where are the deputies going to meet us?" Harkin turns to Bannock, "no idea but I guess we'll find it! C'mon!"

With that, Harkin takes the lead and he and the PCs start running down the road toward Middle Market. You hear more bells now, and shouting in the distance. As you pass homes, people are coming out and shouting to Harkin as you pass, "is it them tieflings? Did they set fire to the town?". Harkin doesn't spare them a reply as you all keep hustling.

After a minute or two you reach Middle Market, there's a confused mix of people, some running toward Low Town, some running back from Low Town. You hear a lot of excited shouting about 'the tieflings' but then through the mix of people you see Master Amreas (the elven smith) sprinting into Middle Market from the direction of Low Town, weaving effortlessly through the crowd, dodging around people without slowing, until he is in front of Harkin. "It's Hilma's! But the fire is spreading to other buildings! People are evacuating but I didn't see Hilma or Martin!"
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

NukeHavoc wrote:
EvilGenius wrote:You can easily will a potion of fire resistance from the Beaker.
Ok, is it just floating on top, or does Brigga have to consume it immediately? It'd be nice to have in reserve in case one of us needs to dive into the fire.
You don't have to consume it immediately. (But you can get 5 potions per week)
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Harkin curses at the news and starts pushing his way through the crowd, bellowing for people to get out of the way.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

We'll pause for anyone else who would like to take actions or join in. :)
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

FYI: From late this afternoon until late Sunday, I'll be radio silent because I'm going camping with the Boy Scouts.