Chapter 42: Sunless Garden Roll Up

Adventures in the early days of Obsidian Bay.
setanta14

Chapter 42: Sunless Garden Roll Up

Post by setanta14 »

Odothar, Zaphrym, Rinnadar, and Hawkwind have attained 9th Level.

Burgell is ~3700 shy of 10th

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

The people of Garlands Fork and the repentant smugglers are restored to their normal forms using the antidote. All (perhaps three dozen) seek to return to Obsidian Bay with you as refugees, as the outlands of the Pomarj have grown too dangerous in the last two years since the humanoid invasion to sustain such as small and isolated settlement, especially one along a main road.

Recovering the Lendorian Astrochron may be an adventure in itself, as it will require 4-5 large wagons to carry all the pieces back to the city, but from your preliminary investigation, it would seem more than well worth it. Your superiors in the Griffins Guild take an immediate interest in this matter.

Also of concern are the meteor fragments and Nockmort's (the corrupted treant dark druid) experiments and research, lest it fall into the wrong hands.
NukeHavoc

Re: Chapter 42: Sunless Garden Roll Up

Post by NukeHavoc »

setanta14 wrote:Recovering the Lendorian Astrochron may be an adventure in itself, as it will require 4-5 large wagons to carry all the pieces back to the city, but from your preliminary investigation, it would seem more than well worth it. Your superiors in the Griffins Guild take an immediate interest in this matter.

Also of concern are the meteor fragments and Nockmort's (the corrupted treant dark druid) experiments and research, lest it fall into the wrong hands.
To that end, Odothar will work with Burgell (whether he wants to or not) to insure the field report includes the appropriate details about the meteor fragments and such. He calls out that section to Talthanas when the report is filed, indicating this is a potential danger that the city and guild should guard against.

He'll begin working on hiring wagons, wagon-teams, and strong swords to protect the caravan on the way back. Hopefully Burgell can get a few low-level individuals from the Griffins Guild to participate in the expedition, but he's also looking to recruit a few stalwart followers of Heironeous to guard the caravan.

(side note: I'm planning on running the Tomb of Telan for my Obsidian Frontier session on Sunday; Odothar will be staying behind to organize all this, thus setting Nate up to run a follow-on adventure, should he want to do that).

Nate -- what do you think the Greyhawk date is now?
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

For Obsidian Frontier? late Spring or early Low Summer of 516???

Elsewhere we posted:
It has been a miserable winter in Obsidian Bay. Rain and/or snow has been falling a few times a week for the past two months, and the temperature has been hovering around freezing each night. Conditions in the refugee camp have been particularly bad, with the entire area mired in muck during the day, which freezes over with a thin crust each night, the inhabitants coming to be called "the mudsitters" by those more fortunate to have a solid roof over their heads. The Governing Council finally reached its decisions to both allow the bronze dragon Ragotharn to inhabit the nearby isle off the coast, and also to form a government, with a formal charter forthcoming in another two months. The final vote was held on Fireseek 27 CY 516, with the Charter Day planned for Coldeven 27. This agreement was only reached after a number of lords decided to leave the proceedings and go it alone against the humanoids and other dangers of the Pomarj, and the dwarves swayed to vote in the affirmative after being granted a large degree of autonomy.
So I guess we need to decide if it is past the Charter Signing or not... Growfest is right after the Charter Date, then Planting, Flocktime, etc.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

I don't have anything special planned for Charter Day, so I'm cool to say it's already happened. What would that make the dates for your stuff?
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

Maybe place them in early to mid Coldeven so you return just before Charter Day for the celebration, and the next adventure starts the week of Growfest.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

setanta14 wrote:Maybe place them in early to mid Coldeven so you return just before Charter Day for the celebration, and the next adventure starts the week of Growfest.
Works for me.

Is there anything in particular you wanted to do with Charter Day (maybe a mini-adventure before mine?)
Fen's Ego

Post by Fen's Ego »

Zaphrym will take any opportunity he can get to study and catalog the 'clock' and it's various, sundry parts, including the manual. An item like this will no doubt be inaccessible to the average adventurer or even scholar, unless it somehow manages to become part of some public display, rather than a private collection.

With regard to Zaphrym's back story, he is obsessed with esoteric genealogies, to which he is somehow connected. Any possible link to how these bloodlines are tracked and plotted draws him to this device in addition to it being abso-friggin'-lutely astonishing in size, scope, and utility, both practical and arcane.
"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun."
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Cool. I'll need to tag in Nate for any and all clock related questions. :)
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

I would say that while the Astrochron doesn't have any information relating to specific bloodlines, with enough information it could certainly be used for modelling a family's expansion or contraction based on the millennial cycles that it tracks.
Fen's Ego wrote:Zaphrym will take any opportunity he can get to study and catalog the 'clock' and it's various, sundry parts, including the manual. An item like this will no doubt be inaccessible to the average adventurer or even scholar, unless it somehow manages to become part of some public display, rather than a private collection.

With regard to Zaphrym's back story, he is obsessed with esoteric genealogies, to which he is somehow connected. Any possible link to how these bloodlines are tracked and plotted draws him to this device in addition to it being abso-friggin'-lutely astonishing in size, scope, and utility, both practical and arcane.