GMing

For Mutants & Masterminds prep and discussion.
NukeHavoc

GMing

Post by NukeHavoc »

I spent a good chunk of the weekend hanging out and re-reading Mutants & Masterminds. The more I read, the more I like it, but one thing I haven't found is guidelines for building NPCs with something like the Challenge Ratings that we've got in d20 D&D.

In D&D I know that a CR 10 monster should consume about 1/4 of the resources of a party of 10th level characters. In Mutants & Masterminds, I'm not sure how that math works. Is a Power Level 10 Mastermind the equivelent of a CR 10 monster? It seems that might be the case, but I don't see anything that explicitly states that. The rules make reference to "Minion Rank" as opposed to "Power Level", but what does that mean ... does a "minion rank" of 3 correspond to a CR 3 (because minions are easier to take out in M&M as they get knocked out of the game if they fail their toughness save? What is the relation between Power Level and Minion Rank? If I make a PL 5 robot, what is its Minion Rank?

Maybe I'm just a little lazy after d20, but I'd like this sort of mechanic spelled out after.

Ken
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

there is one section where they talk about power level of the bad guy, but not in detail like 3E D&D.

I think it's under the character building section, where they talk about "doing the math" and the power level of the campaign. They talk about adjusting up attack bonus and decreasing defense or damage.

It's right there where they talk a little about the power level of the villian.

Other than that, it's a d20 game. I think they assume the same structure of challenge as in D&D 3E.
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

I didn't read the section on GMing yet, but my impression of this was: "Throw out all of that D&D encounter math nonsense". Basically it sounded like just make combats fun. Throw lots of low level mooks at the party they can easily take out. Then throw an equivilent group of baddies. Then For the main villian make him PL 15 (if its a PL 10 game). Mix/match, repeat. In the end your giving out a power point or two for the session reward. So making equal challenges isnt as important as making an enjoyable game.

That was just this guy's impression though.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Hardcorhobbs wrote:Then For the main villian make him PL 15 (if its a PL 10 game). Mix/match, repeat. In the end your giving out a power point or two for the session reward. So making equal challenges isnt as important as making an enjoyable game.
That's the part I'm trying to figure out -- what power level is appropriate for a village (either a henchman or the boss himself). I seem to remember something about the PL 15 mastermind before though -- that seems like it would be about right (with perhaps a PL 12 henchman for the penultimate encounter).

But this is why we need to do a few runs through the Danger Room. :) I've been thinking about NPCs all weekend, and I can't wait to start putting some of them together!
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

If I remember correctly most, if not all, of the Villians in the back are PL 15. This is what I'm basing my observations on considering all of the archetypes are for a PL 10 campaign (that being the usual starting PL for a campaign). Again, I have not read the whole book yet, but I've at least perrused most of it.