Second Darkness: The Sky's the Limit

Discussions relating to the Paizo adventure Path.
NukeHavoc

Second Darkness: The Sky's the Limit

Post by NukeHavoc »

Everyone,

With the conclusion of Book 2: Children of the Void, our heroes have some downtime. As I mentioned after Sunday's game, we're behind on XP and treasure because you skipped a few portions of the book (not a bad thing, just something we need to account for). Even if that wasn't the case however, Second Darkness was laid out with built-in downtime between Book 2 and Book 3. By the end of Book 2 you're supposed to be 5th level, but Book 3 begins with you at 6th level.

That gives us about a 1.25 levels worth of open ended adventuring for you to undertake.

My question for you is ... what would you like to do? The next logical step is to travel to the ruins of the ancient elven capital of Celwynvian in the Mierani Forest and prevent Shindiira and her soon-to-be consort Nolveniss from continuing their research into the "Armageddon Echo" (whatever that is).

We could work in some overland adventures on your way from Riddleport to the forest, but if you'd like to change things up a bit, perhaps with some urban adventuring in Riddleport or some relic hunting in Varisia, I'm ok with that.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
Lars Porsenna

Re: Second Darkness: The Sky's the Limit

Post by Lars Porsenna »

I wouldn't mind some overland adventuring, although based on what Nate pointed out, it would seem the best way to pursue the Drow would by by ship as well...

Other goals Kor has is that last level he took up Alchemy...and hopes there will be enough cash treasure that he can invest in a travelling alchemy set, and brew up some stuff...

Damon.
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"
Modeling the Ecuadorian Military: https://ecuadorianmilitary.blogspot.com/
My Book Blog: http://bookslikedust.blogspot.com/
My Minis Blog: http://minislikedust.blogspot.com/
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

Well, urban adventures lend themselves to obtaining lootz much more than overland, and Varisia is a frontier-type country without many settlements outside of the city-states. So, maybe the classic caravan guard duty vs. bandits/humanoids, which would have urban elements at both ends with the overland in between?
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

setanta14 wrote:Well, urban adventures lend themselves to obtaining lootz much more than overland, and Varisia is a frontier-type country without many settlements outside of the city-states. So, maybe the classic caravan guard duty vs. bandits/humanoids, which would have urban elements at both ends with the overland in between?
That would work. It's also a land of ruins left behind by the Rune Lords, so there's a fair amount of stuff that can happen between point A and point B. IIRC the initial Rise of the Rune Lord books had some background on the area that I could plunder.

My big goal here is just to say ... if there's something you want your character to do, story-wise, game-wise, whatever, now would be a good time to do it (e.g. Korlandril's alchemy)
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

Ah, I see...

Well, Skender probably grew up idolizing the Sczarni crime families who lorded over the various brothels and gambling dens, and having just helped one of Riddleport's major crime bosses in several ways, Skender would probably be looking to become a "made man" in the Sczarni.

From taking the level in Fighter, he'll be looking to improve his fencing skills and acrobatics to become an accomplished "duelist" so he can more readily stand his ground in a toe to toe fight. Though 3.X doesn't have a training requirement to level, for roleplaying purposes he'd be seeking out a swordmaster to study with.

And lastly, he would continue to make "sizable donations" to the Calistrian priestesses.
erilar

Post by erilar »

setanta14 wrote: And lastly, he would continue to make "sizable donations" to the Calistrian priestesses.
Ewwwww!

Phil has lots of studying to do, including scroll-scribing and skimming magic shoppes, local libraries, and collections for information on the Varisian and Undercommon languages. (He needs the former to qualify for the Cyphermage PrC, and wants to learn the latter for level 6. I figure it may take a lot of research time to learn Undercommon.)

After "borrowing" ample linguistic tomes (and buying enough scribing materials), to keep him occupied throughout the journey, Phil is totally game for an overland adventure!

Do we want to do anything involving the Gold Goblin before we head off to points unknown?

PS - I just bought the Inner Sea Magic PDF.
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

Yeah, setting that place up as a cash-cow for us with/for the cyphermages to do research seems like the way to go.
erilar wrote:Do we want to do anything involving the Gold Goblin before we head off to points unknown?
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

I like the idea of a caravan adventure bookended by city encounters. It seems good from a player perspective, and seems to accomplish what we need as characters without sacrificing plot. We could explain that due to the tidal wave, and the dragon turtle, there are not any available ships to take us more directly there by sea.

As for what he wants to accomplish, Jheru is a wanderer from a foreign land. While he has made friends here in Riddleport, and made a bit of a name for himself as well, his plan wasn't to stay permanently, and seeing more of this world matches his desire for exploration.

As for the Gold Goblin, outside of seeing that it finds a better life than it had before, Jheru doesn't have any specific plans, and the idea of renting it out to the cyphermages for studying the cypher-ring beneath it and establishing it as Skender's future base of operations makes sense to him.

As for what to do immediately in Riddleport before striking out overland, well, while others are studying and training, someone needs to make arrangements for the trip. And, it occurs to Jheru that perhaps someone should look into this old elven city, the drow, etc., and see if there is something special we need to know/prepare prior to venturing there. A protection we need, a weapon, a bit of knowledge about the place, etc. Now, Jheru is no scholar, so he might not be able to learn this himself, but he'd be happy to inquire of others. Not that there are many scholars in Riddleport, but...

As for leveling, Jheru will continue in his path as a monk of Irori, taking another level of monk. He will take the Dazzling Display feat, allowing him to possibly intimidate opponents with a flurry of forms and poses before a punch even need be thrown.
"Here are your waters and your watering place.
Drink and be whole again beyond confusion."
-- "Directive" by Robert Frost