Episode 3 Aftermath and Loot

The 5th Editon playtest campaign.
EvilGenius

Episode 3 Aftermath and Loot

Post by EvilGenius »

The party recovers quite a bit of loot from the (real) chest in the werejackal's secret lair. You find:

600sp (Tenh and Theocracy coins)
1000gp (Nyrond and Great Kingdom)
500gp diamond

Eric - You see a small beautifully shaped box with rounded corners. It looks the size and shape to contain playing cards. The bone white, lustrous wood gives off a soft pearly glow and it seems the box top flips open on delicate, beautifully ornate silver hinges. On the front and back are faded paintings, cracked with age. You see a green forest on one side and a wonderfully detailed bronze dragon with gossamer wings on the other.
As you handle the strange box, wisps of ethereal mist rise from the wood and you see that the painting of the forest seems to gain depth and solidity. The colors become richer, sharper, and the foliage begins to rustle in an unfelt wind. Amazingly, it seems like you are looking at an actual forest now!! Entranced with the lifelike painting, you see the forest begin to change, as though with the seasons, but you are distracted by a buzzing against your hand. You look at the other side of the box and the small dragon animates and looks at you, wings fluttering like a hummingbird, causing the buzzing against your hand as the miniature dragon flits about in his picture.
Deck of Illusions (Fey, Metamorphic)

Lance - This is a thick, heavy ring of polished mithril, set with a sparkling blue stone. Just handling the ring makes you feel safe. There are small dwarven runes beautifully etched into the metal, both inside and out. The runes outside are of protection and wholeness, while the inside runes seem to be warning runes of some sort.
Ring of Protection (Dwarven make, Gleaming, Sentinel: Golems. When golems are detected, the blue stone pulses with light)

Damon - This gold ring seems to shimmer slightly. The craftsmanship is simple and functional. The ring is comfortably warm when you hold it though, calling to mind cozy hearths and wholesome meals shared with good friends. After only a moment the ring’s warmth and good cheer seem to permeate your very soul and you cannot help but smiling contentedly.
Ring of Warmth (Halfling make, Harmonious, Beacon; warm, yellowish light. When the Beacon is activated, the ring provides its warmth to everyone within 10’ radius. Only the wearer has resistance vs Cold damage, however.)

Ken - You see a pair of cumbersome gauntlets, apparently made out of a dark grey stone. The gauntlets look pitted and heavily used, with several cracks running through them and even with a few chunks missing. As you don the strange gloves, more and more cracks appear and parts of the stone crumble away. Incredibly though, these cumbersome gauntlets don’t seem to impair either your movement or sense of touch. You flex your hands, feeling a surge of strength like you have never felt, and you see a bright red-orange glow from deep within the seams and cracks in the gauntlets, causing the cracks to shine like fiery veins.
You heft your weapon, which now seems as light as a child’s toy, and the bits of stone dust and flakes that continually fall from the gauntlets ignite, causing a flash of pain in your hands! You thrust your hands away from you in concern, but the molten bits that now continuously drip from the gauntlets seem to evaporate in midair.
Gauntlets of Ogre Power (Strange Material; living stone, Painful, Metamorphic, Frail)

Zack - This necklace is quite unusual. The chain seems to be made out of a dark metal that you cannot immediately identify; it is very dense and heavy, though flexible. It is also somewhat grotesque, as each link is fashioned to look like an open, screaming mouth. There is also an irregularly shaped, dark red crystal attached to the necklace by more of the strange metal. The necklace is slightly warm to the touch.
While handling it, you accidently prick your finger on an unnoticed, jagged spike on the metal holding the stone. A small drop of blood beads on your finger and you unexpectedly shiver as the stone seems to move toward the blood as a magnet toward iron, and you see a small pulse of red light in the depths of the crystal. You pull the necklace away from your finger, pulling against the magnetic attraction, but as you move the necklace away, the drop of blood flies from your finger and splatters on the stone! Immediately, the blood is soaked into the stone as ink into parchment, and the whole crystal begins to glow softly red. The magnetic pull of the necklace has abated and you notice it is now very light, almost floating in your grasp. Looking closer, you see that the stylized mouths of the heavy metal chain are writhing slightly, no longer screaming, they now instead seem to ask for more to eat. Shuddering, your gaze is wrenched from the necklace to the pulsing red stone. Spidery silver characters float across the surface of the stone, then seem to melt away. This continues for a few minutes, then the light fades from the stone and the necklace returns to its original state.
Periapt of Wound Closure (Fiendish, Hungry, Metamorphic, Hidden Message, Key, Unbreakable)

Nate - You see an unusual Greataxe. The grip is wrapped in some sort of mottled greyish white leather, the shaft is a darkened steel and the blade looks like it is made out of opaque ice. The air around the axe blade continually mists like warm breath on a frigid morning. Carved into the shaft of the axe, just below the blade, is the profile of a dragon’s head on one side and on the other side is carved the word Frostbite in Flan.
When you pick up the weapon you feel a burning sensation that builds for a few moments to a painful level, but when you look at your hands they seem discolored and cold instead of burned.
Greataxe +1 (Vicious, Dragon Slaying, Temperate, Unusual Material, regenerating ice, Painful)

Jim - This set of reddish gold chain mail is incredibly light, the delicate chain loops deceptively strong and flexible. Woven through the breast of the mail are supple red, orange and yellow-gold leaves, and the entire suit seems to catch, reflect and amplify the light. The effect is mesmerizing, and calls to mind a beautiful, sunny autumn day. As you handle the exquisite armor you become more aware of your surroundings and of your own emotions.
Elven Chain (shirt) +2 (Elven make [½ weight], Gleaming, Guardian [+2 Initiative], Conscientious)

Oh, and there is a journal which is written in some strange language that you can't read (amalgamation of Abyssal and Draconic).
Last edited by EvilGenius on Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:32 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Another daring escape for the intrepid Spaceman Spiff!
EvilGenius

Re: Episode II Aftermath and Loot

Post by EvilGenius »

As you examine the recovered loot, Quarian cries out in pain and collapses to his knees! Quarian hastily grabs the elven chain shirt and cradles it to his chest, softly murmuring in Elvish. Jareth also seems taken aback and puts a comforting hand on Quarian's shoulder.

Jim and Lance, please check your PMs. :)
erilar

Post by erilar »

Jim / Quarion - I had a dream about you two nights ago. In my dream, I was your brother (a fellow elf I think). I was wielding a beautiful elvish sword, and you were wearing this very same armor we just found!

We were pursuing a half orc necromancer (dressed in red) and a dire bear through a forest. We caught up tothe orc-romancer and were doing well fighting him, but then the dire bear was upon us and I woke up.
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
NukeHavoc

Re: Episode III Aftermath and Loot

Post by NukeHavoc »

Brigga would be most interested in the dwarven-forged ring of protection (to honor her ancestors) and the gauntlets of ogre power (dwarf smash!)
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

erilar wrote: orc-romancer
:shock:

I snarfed water when I read that!! :D
erilar

Post by erilar »

Jareth is also interested in the Ring of Protection. I think - what are the rules for those now?
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

erilar wrote:Jareth is also interested in the Ring of Protection. I think - what are the rules for those now?
+1 to AC and Saves
erilar

Post by erilar »

EvilGenius wrote:+1 to AC and Saves
Okay, yep Jareth will roll on the Ring of Protection too then.
erose914

Post by erose914 »

Erk is interested in the Deck of Illusions. It could produce handy distractions in a tight situation...
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

I'm happy to pass on the ring and go with the gauntlets is no one else wants those.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
Upweekis

Post by Upweekis »

But, but this is the mail shirt I took from my father's corpse...
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Upweekis wrote:But, but this is the mail shirt I took from my father's corpse...

Hmmmm, the plot! She thickens!!!! :D
Lars Porsenna

Post by Lars Porsenna »

Mordai would be interested in the Gauntlets of Ogre Power and/OR the ring of warmth. 1st choice would be the gauntlets.

Damon.
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"
Modeling the Ecuadorian Military: https://ecuadorianmilitary.blogspot.com/
My Book Blog: http://bookslikedust.blogspot.com/
My Minis Blog: http://minislikedust.blogspot.com/
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Ok, so it looks like maybe we need a roll off for either the Gauntlets or the Ring of Protection. Let's get Zack's preference and go from there.
WafflesX10

Post by WafflesX10 »

Balasar is interested in the strange bloodthirsty necklace.