Massaging the Timeline

Adventures in the early days of Obsidian Bay.
setanta14

Massaging the Timeline

Post by setanta14 »

In doing research into what is going on where in Greyhawk during this time period, I discovered some anomalies:

CY 510: Forced out of their mountian [sic] lairs in the Lortmils, the humanoids invade and conquer the Pomarj. [3] (http://wiki.griffcrier.com/index.php?ti ... y_Timeline)

"The Griffins Guild guild landed on an early spring day -- Coldeven 10 -- of CY 513" (http://wiki.griffcrier.com/index.php?ti ... ns_Landing)

"Coldeven 27, CY 513: Town of Obsidian Bay founded on the Pomarj by the Griffins Guild. The first Lord Mayor was Samuel "Battle Axe" Longriver. [4]" (http://wiki.griffcrier.com/index.php?ti ... y_Timeline)

However, multiple sources describe the Hateful Wars as having taken place from CY 498-510, while the humanoid invasion of the Pomarj itself wasn't until CY 513, as the humanoids had been decimated and driven out of the Lortmils by Celene/Uleks/Veluna/Kron Hills Dwarves, so they spent 3 years rebuilding their strength in the Suss Forest, and then made a surprise attack on Highport on Planting 11 CY 513, which the survivors named the "Night of the Bloody Spear". (TSR11621-Slavers, pg. 89, 120).

As Coldeven is before Planting, the Griffin's Guild couldn't have landed before the humanoids ever struck, as their landing was in response to the invasion.

So, I propose the following:

---Amend the Pomarj invasion date on our wiki to Planting 11 CY 513 (Fall of Highport/Night of the Bloody Spear)

---Amend the Landing of the Griffins Guild to Coldeven 10 CY 514 (as word of the invasion would first need to reach Irongate, and then planning an invasion from Irongate with enough force to establish a foothold would have taken months, as advance scouting missions took place to find a suitable landing site, and troops, supplies, and ships were assembled, and then the perilous crossing of the Gearnat Strait itself in late Winter/early Spring)

---Amend the Founding of Obsidian Bay as an official government to Coldeven 27 CY 516 (about a year ahead of our current adventuring timeline, giving the powers that be enough time to debate, decide, draw up a charter, and decide when it would take effect)

This would mean that Griffin's Landing has only existed just over a year, better explaining the haphazard construction and tent city, refugees just now making their way to the place as the humanoids complete their domination of the rest of the Pomarj, having conquered Blue, then Stoneheim and the smaller settlements in a clockwise circuit of the Drachensgrab Mountains (and failing to locate King Olarek the Mad's hidden citadel from where he launched his ill-fated assault after Highport was attacked and he and his army slaughtered on the plains near Lost Fenrill).

Any comments?
Last edited by setanta14 on Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EvilGenius

Re: Massaging the Timeline

Post by EvilGenius »

Good deal. Make it so! :)

(Also, very happy to be working in the future of Greyhawk and not deal with multiple timelines. :)
Another daring escape for the intrepid Spaceman Spiff!
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

Other things of note which happened around this time which weren't mentioned already in other topics:

CY 498- County of Urnst becomes palatinate under the Duchy of Urnst. Greyhawk becomes a free city.

CY 505- Iuz disappears (because he is imprisoned by Zagig Yragerne under Castle Greyhawk along with several other demi-gods/demons)

CY 513- Rise of the Horned Society in Iuz's absence
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

Since I've editing the wiki while catching up on adventures anyway, I can make the changes at some point if you guys would like.
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

As long as Ken agrees
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

setanta14 wrote:As long as Ken agrees
I'm good with it. Especially if someone else makes the changes. :)
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange